Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
itp
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Hadley Grindrod

Data Collection Intervals

Post by itp »

Hi there. We have been using Veeam on and off for the last year but want to expand our use of the Veeam Monitor software but we're having some issues. We are a consultancy/support company and we primarily use the Veeam Monitor software to monitor and maintain our client networks rather than our own. We have VPN connections configured to each client we wish to monitor.

Our problem is the sheer amount of internet bandwidth that Veeam is using even for monitoring just one client's vCenter server; somewhere in the region of 3/4GB a day. This is our sticking point as this is not sustainable on our internet connection (we're out in the sticks!), especially when we'd like to monitor up to 5/6 installations. I have found the svctuning executable in the Veeam Program Files folder and wondered if somebody could guide me on what settings could be worth changing to reduce the bandwidth consumption? We don't really require realtime monitoring, something like every 15 minutes would be sufficient, if that even makes a difference!

Long story short, we need to drastically reduce the bandwidth consumed by the Veeam Collector service. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2717 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Data Collection Intervals

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Hadley,

Just to make sure we're on the same page regarding your architecture - do you have a 3/4 Gbs of traffic between your vCenter Server and Monitor Collector service or between Monitor service and Monitor Client? Where is Monitor Service deployed? Next to vCenter server in the remote site?

Thanks!
itp
Novice

Post by itp »

The Monitor service is running on a machine in our local network so that we can monitor all client networks simultaneously. We have a central SQL server to which the Monitor stores the logs, but it is also local. The problem traffic is between our local Monitor server and our remote clients' vCenter servers over VPN. Does that help?

We can monitor our bandwidth from the ISP and when we switched on the monitoring of one client network, the VPN traffic jumped from an average of 200MB/day to just over 2GB/day.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, that helps, thank you!

I've just verified with our dev team that there is a setting to reduce a refresh interval of Veeam ONE Monitor Client. It can be set it to 15 minutes, but there are potential drawbacks of this approach, for example performance data and alarms will be updated within the same interval, meaning that even if you receive an alarm notification via email (right after something bad happens), this alarm will not visible/triggered in the GUI.

Not sure if it is acceptable or not, if it is, then you need to open a support ticket with our technical team and reference this topic so that our engineer could guide you through the required configuration changes.

From our side we'll take a look at what can be improved in terms of traffic workflow in our next versions.

Hope this helps!
itp
Novice

Post by itp »

Fantastic, thanks Vitaliy. I'll get on to support shortly.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hadley,

The workaround I mentioned above can only reduce the traffic between Monitor server and Monitor Client, seems like I've misunderstood you, my bad. As to your case when Monitor server retrieves performance data through VPN channel, then there are two variants of resolving it:

- deploy Monitor service next to vCenter Server, in this case you will reduce the amount of VPN traffic and will not miss any issues if VPN goes down.
- if you leave it as it is, another workaround would be to reduce the number of performance counters collected.

Thanks.