Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
massimiliano.rizzi
Service Provider
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Massimiliano Rizzi

Google Cloud Storage + Immutability

Post by massimiliano.rizzi »

Hello Community and good day,

just a quick question here regarding Google Cloud Storage in order to confirm whether I am reading it correctly.

Am I reading it correctly that Google Cloud Storage does not support Immutability with Veeam Backup & Replication yet as of this time ? If my understanding is correct, is this functionality is in the roadmap ?

Any information on this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Massimiliano
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software
Liked: 636 times
Full Name: Oleg Feoktistov

Re: Google Cloud Storage + Immutability

Post by oleg.feoktistov »

Hi Massimiliano,

Yes, correct, because Google Cloud Storage doesn't yet support object-level lock, which we rely on in this scenario.
I see that container/bucket-level lock is available, but it is not suitable for integration with Veeam for the reasons described here.
So we are just waiting for Google to implement it on object level so that we could test and support it.

Hope that helps.

Best regards,
Oleg
massimiliano.rizzi
Service Provider
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Massimiliano Rizzi

Post by massimiliano.rizzi »

Yes, correct, because Google Cloud Storage doesn't yet support object-level lock, which we rely on in this scenario.
I see that container/bucket-level lock is available, but it is not suitable for integration with Veeam for the reasons described here.
So we are just waiting for Google to implement it on object level so that we could test and support it.
Hi there Oleg,

thank you very much for taking the time to provide me with the information. It is very much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Massimiliano
geniola
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Alberto Geniola

Post by geniola »

Hi!

Google has released Object-Level locks since November 2023. Is there any public roadmap about supporting the new API to extend immutable backups also on GCS?

Reference here: https://cloud.google.com/storage/docs/object-lock

Thanks!
Alberto
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

No public roadmap is currently available, but we are considering feature inclusion in the next major release. We do not have an estimated time of arrival (ETA) for this release at the moment. Thank you for your understanding and support!