Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
LEWISF
Influencer
Liked: never

Veeam job retention

Post by LEWISF »

We have an audit issue where we need to verify that data for jobs past the retention period is being deleted. I need answers to a few questions.

1. As an example, If I have a backup and I set the retention period for 90 days and then 60 days later we change the retention to 30 days, does the Veeam cleanup process remove the chains that are past 30 days.
2. If we ran a job that has data backed for a couple of months and then we stop that job because it's no longer needed, does the Veeam cleanup process still remove the chains that are past whatever the retention date was for the job? I'm thinking no because the cleanup is part of the job process.
3. If a job does an offload to cloud storage and then the job is deleted, the cloud storage is orphaned under capacity tier (orphaned) and the data remains until manually removed, correct?

Thanks in advance.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Veeam job retention

Post by Mildur »

Hello LEWISF
1. As an example, If I have a backup and I set the retention period for 90 days and then 60 days later we change the retention to 30 days, does the Veeam cleanup process remove the chains that are past 30 days.
Correct, as long as the backup are not immutable. Backups will be deleted accordingly to the new retention policy after the next job run.
2. If we ran a job that has data backed for a couple of months and then we stop that job because it's no longer needed, does the Veeam cleanup process still remove the chains that are past whatever the retention date was for the job? I'm thinking no because the cleanup is part of the job process.
Yes, our background retention (v12 and later) will take care of it: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120
3. If a job does an offload to cloud storage and then the job is deleted, the cloud storage is orphaned under capacity tier (orphaned) and the data remains until manually removed, correct?
Our background retention job doesn't process orphaned backups on capacity tier. But if can delete the local backups on your performance tier, backups on the capacity tier will be removed as well in the next offload session.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software