PowerShell script exchange
jotge
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Jan Groschopp

MFA and Powershell

Post by jotge »

Hello,

we would like to activate MFA in our Veeam environment.

I first need to describe our situation a little so that it is clear what I actually want.

We have a very large Hyper-V infrastructure to be backed up, so our lifecycle management for backup jobs, backup copy jobs and backup to tape jobs is based on various PowerShell scripts. We create, configure and delete jobs or backup objects with the help of these scripts.

In addition to backup administrators, so-called application owners of different servers also access the backup data - e.g. to restore data - and they use the Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager for this. Therefore, these scripts are also connected to the Enterprise Manager via the REST API in order to be able to assign or remove role-based rights.

In order to keep track of the many users who access the backup systems and backup data, we have also introduced a corresponding user concept. This requires each user to log in to the backup systems with user-specific credentials. This also makes it possible to recognize in the Veeam logs which user performed which action and when.

For all this reasons, the powershell scripts should be started in the respective user context.

Since the current implementation of MFA blocks the execution of the Powerhell scripts, now here comes my question. Are there plans to extend the use of MFA to the PowerShell scripts?

If this needs a feature rewquest, here it is ;-)

Thanks and best regards

Jan
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software
Liked: 636 times
Full Name: Oleg Feoktistov

Re: MFA and Powershell

Post by oleg.feoktistov »

Hi Jan,

Added your +1 to this request. We have no ETA on MFA-enabled powershell, but have you considered using service accounts instead? They should work with MFA enabled and VBR allows to add such accounts to a backup infrastructure. See this article.

Best regards,
Oleg