Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
cosmik
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Michael Pappas

In organization MITM encryption/decryption Veeam agent (free) detects existence of update but fails to update

Post by cosmik »

(Opened as case #07143202 - closed since it was about the free platform)

In our organization for various security reasons, all traffic to the internet now passes through a transparent proxy that does MITM decryption/re-encryption of traffic, in order to perform content inspection. After the afore-mentioned change and in order for the client systems to be able to access the internet, a root cert has been provided that is installed on our systems.

We've noticed a lot of problems from software that does not directly respect certificates in the Windows cert store (eg Firefox, Thunderbird). In many cases we've alleviated issues by configuration. In the Veeam free agent case we have a couple of (free) agents (v.6.0.2.1090) running which detected that there is a new version available. However trying to install it fails with a "failed to download update error". We have a hunch that this is a similar case to the one described above.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2304 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: In organization MITM encryption/decryption Veeam agent (free) detects existence of update but fails to update

Post by Mildur »

Hi Michael

I don't see the exact error message in the support case. But maybe this kb covers your issue: https://www.veeam.com/kb4455
I suggest you download the new agent version from our download center and install it manually.

Agents managed by backup server wouldn't face this issues, because the agent gets deployed from the backup server and not the internet.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
cosmik
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Michael Pappas

Re: In organization MITM encryption/decryption Veeam agent (free) detects existence of update but fails to update

Post by cosmik »

Heyyyy Fabian matey!!!!!

I had attached complete logs in the support case, strange that the "failed to download update error" did not show. up. Not the same with KB4455.

I already downloaded the new agent and installed it over on one of the rigs, left the other one as is in case someone from Veeam asked for details. No worries on my side, I just opened the issue thinking that Veeam might want to fix this.

BTW, this is similar to a bug I've reported to Thunderbird, check https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1866991

In that case, thunderbird also detected that an update was available, but could not download it all (different mechanisms for checking for updates and for actually downloading them).

Really glad to hear you our here, even in the context of an issue buddy :)

BR,

M.-