Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
KnB567
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Ray Cockshell

How to backup a Repository to tape and include any Imported backups?

Post by KnB567 »

We are retiring an older business application and its associated VM from all Branch Offices.
Have gathered all active backups into a new dedicated central repository using Backup Copy jobs. Have backups of two older sites/VMs in same repository but these are only showing as Disk (Imported) in VBR as their original Backup Jobs and Hosts had to be removed during host decommissioning.
Have tried to backup this entire repository to tape, but it will not select the older, imported backups (as per documentation).
The repository is on SMB-based NAS.
Is there a way to write all the backups in this repository to a tape for long-term archival, including those showing only as "Imported"?
Tried using Files-to-Tape but do not get option to select repository, only servers.
TIA
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: How to backup a Repository to tape and include any Imported backups?

Post by Mildur »

Hi Ray

A second backup server is not aware of the copy jobs. Therefore "Backup To Tape" will not work for imported backups.
But may I ask why File To Tape is no option? My understanding is, this is a one time tape job and you want to write all backup files from that repository to a tape. Add the root folder of the repository to a File To Tape job and the entire repository will be on the tape.

You can choose any managed server or unstructured data source as a source for your file to tape job.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
DataDefender
Influencer
Liked: never

Re: How to backup a Repository to tape and include any Imported backups?

Post by DataDefender »

That's what I'm currently doing with old (imported) backups, as Ray suggested. I'm using File-to-Tape to transfer the root folder of the repository to tape. It's not perfect, but at least I have them on tape.

Regards,
DD