Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
H4nk
Lurker
Liked: never

Job Settings Question

Post by H4nk »

Hi, I use the Veeam Client for Windows. In the job that I created, I have set that the jobs should be saved for 7 days.

The full backup should take place every Saturday.

Why are backups of the last 13 days stored on the drive?

Can I configure the veeam client so that it only creates 1 fullbackup and then saves incrementally for 6 days? Everything before the fullbackup should be removed.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2304 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Job Settings Question

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hi H4nk

Welcome to the forum.
This is how a backup chain with regular full backup works.
A backup chain contains a full backup and all subsequent incremental backups. When a new full backup is created, a new backup chain starts.
To be able to restore from an incremental backup, you need the full backup and all previous incremental backups from that chain.

From your screenshot:
You have a retention of 7 days. Today you want to restore from the incremental backup 23.02.2024. This backup is still in your retention period of 7 days.
The full backup from 18.02.2024 and all incremental backups from 18.02.2024 till 23.02.2024 are required to open the restore point. We cannot delete those restore points as long as one of the restore point is within the retention period.

You can find this explanation in our user guide:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120
Can I configure the veeam client so that it only creates 1 fullbackup and then saves incrementally for 6 days? Everything before the fullbackup should be removed.
Disable the weekly full backup. And you will only have 7-8 days of backups.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
H4nk
Lurker
Liked: never

Re: Job Settings Question

Post by H4nk »

Hi Mildur,

thanks for quick reply.
You say:
"Disable the weekly full backup. And you will only have 7-8 days of backups."