Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
mp37c4
Novice
Liked: never

Older backup restore points not deleted (.vkb .vib files)

Post by mp37c4 »

Case # 07160231

I have created the backup job as follows
1. Volume level backup (OS files + D:)
2. to local storage B:\veeambackup, keep backups for 8 days
advanced: Create active full backup Monthly on first Sunday Months (check Jan-Dec)
3. Schedule: daily at 20:30 on these days: Sunday

Job runs as expected, on first Sunday of month it creates a full backup, on the other Sundays an incremental.

Problem: the old backup-chains are not deleted and filling up the backup directory, current status:
03.03. - vbk *
25.02. - vib
18.02. - vib
11.02. - vib
04.02. - vbk *
28.01. - vib
21.01. - vib
14.01. - vib
14.01. - vbk
07.01. - vbk *
31.12. - vib
25.12. - vib
24.12. - vib
17.12. - vib
10.12. - vib
03.12. - vbk *

To my understanding, the full Dezember chain should be deleted to keep the 8 required points. This job did work for years in the past but with one of the last versions it stopped deleting the old chains. Version is 6.1.0.349.

What is the fastets solution: delete all backup files, delete job and software, reinstall and define job again?
Deleting the backup-files and start from scratch is save, there are 2 copies on external disks in the firesave vault. So a restore is possible.

P.S. On other PC, the purge of old backups is working.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2305 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Older backup restore points not deleted (.vkb .vib files)

Post by Mildur »

Hello mp37c4

The retention policy on our free agent and workstation works differently. It takes days in to count when the machine has created a successful backup. And then we don't delete a backup on day 8, we delete it on N+1 days. With 8 days retention, backups will be removed on day 9.
--> Userguide: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=60

The 9 days where a backup file was created successfully is from January 7th till March 3rd.
Therefore I expect the December chain to be deleted after the next successful backup session. If not, keep working with support on this issue.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
mp37c4
Novice
Liked: never

Re: Older backup restore points not deleted (.vkb .vib files)

Post by mp37c4 »

Hello
I have this issue some time, in the past I had to manually delete the Oct and Nov chains to gain space. Also step-by-step reducing the retention period did not help. Even when I count the x+1 rule it does not match. I did now a complete scratch re-install including manual purging all "veeam" related directories, cleaning the registry, deleting all backup files. I will now monitor how the new job performs.