Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
mcz
Veeam Legend
Liked: 180 times
Full Name: Michael

apply retention policy manually

Post by mcz »

Hello everybody,

this story is quite simple: We copy/offload GFS's to our object storage. Now due to multiple issues in the past and the switch from a 'normal' bucket to an immutable one, we've got multiple backups and chains across multiple buckets, folders, etc. and so the deduplication across the multiple chains is not given. That's why we're wasting a lot of space and the problem is that we only could delete a whole chain but not restore points within the chain...

Sometimes you'd like to keep one certain restore point but get rid of all the others in the chain. Using 'traditional' backups on a file system would make this possible: delete the restore points you wanna get ride of and keep the vbk's you wannt to keep - rescan repo and done. I'd like to do the same on an object storage.

Is there a script/tool somewhere or via the support available which would do that for me in an officially supported way? It just doesn't help if I do mess around and break the whole chain by doing so...

Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: apply retention policy manually

Post by veremin »

I can only suggest exporting needed restore points and removing everything else. Current downside of this approach is the fact that points will be exported to original performance extent and you will need to upload them to object storage manually.

However, it will be addressed in v12 - points residing in capacity tier will be exported to capacity tier (instead of performance one).

Thanks!
mcz
Veeam Legend

Post by mcz »

Thanks Vladimir, got that. Will there ever be an option do to a manual cleanup or something similar? I mean the logic does exist: Everytime when the retention is applied, it would remove old objects - it's exactly what I wannt. No way to trigger that retention via powershell or anything like that?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Not planned for short-term roadmap :) If you want to remove obsolete objects, lowering retention period is a way to go.
mcz
Veeam Legend

Post by mcz »

yeah, but lowering retention period is not possible, if there's no linked job (orphaned backups on object storage)...
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

Simple retention cannot be applied outside of existing job, but for orphaned GFS restore points we have this background processing.

Either way your voice has been heard; so thank you for sharing your feedback with us, Michael.
vtjim345
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Jim Silvia

Post by vtjim345 »

I have this same pain point. orphaned buckets that i'm not sure how to age out gracefully without pulling back.