Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
phiaramos
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Phia Ramos

Dell data domain immutability

Post by phiaramos »

Hello,

I'm confused with the immutability with Data Domain. We have enabled the Retention Lock on Dell DD side, having 30days minimum and 5years maximum.
Then set the backup repository 'make recent backups immutable for: 30 days'

We encountered the below warning on the jobs
2/8/2024 10:24:57 AM :: A problem occurred during setting the immutable flag: Immutability period for some backups is lower than the minimum value allowed by the target repository, using the minimum supported value instead.

I have read the https://www.veeam.com/kb4501
So we tried adjusting the immutability retention on the Veeam repo to 31 up to 40 days, but still getting the same warning when running the job again. What should be the interval between minimum Retention Lock and Veeam repo immutability retention should be?

Regards,
Phia
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Dell data domain immutability

Post by foggy »

Hi Phia, do you have GFS retention configured for this job?
we!come
Lurker

Post by we!come »

Hi foggy,

What happen if I have to configured GFS retention for this job ?
Dynamic
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Markus Hartmann

Post by Dynamic »

phiaramos wrote: Feb 08, 2024 2:32 am Hello,

I'm confused with the immutability with Data Domain. We have enabled the Retention Lock on Dell DD side, having 30days minimum and 5years maximum.
Then set the backup repository 'make recent backups immutable for: 30 days'

We encountered the below warning on the jobs
2/8/2024 10:24:57 AM :: A problem occurred during setting the immutable flag: Immutability period for some backups is lower than the minimum value allowed by the target repository, using the minimum supported value instead.

I have read the https://www.veeam.com/kb4501
So we tried adjusting the immutability retention on the Veeam repo to 31 up to 40 days, but still getting the same warning when running the job again. What should be the interval between minimum Retention Lock and Veeam repo immutability retention should be?

Regards,
Phia
Hi Phia,
...did this warning occured after reached your 30days of the min-retention-period on your compliance mode enabled mtree?
I have currently an open case on that, could be an issue within the newly retention-lock feature since 12.1

We are currently testing, what happens, when we only do a "fresh" backup/backup chain (in our case, we had already a backup-chain, and later activated the new feature on it).

Best regards
Markus
Markus Hartmann / VMware Certified Implementation Expert - Data Center Virtualization 2023 / Veeam Certified Architect & Engineer 2024
rennerstefan
Veeam Software
Liked: 146 times
Full Name: Stefan Renner

Post by rennerstefan »

Hi,
If you have a case open please share the case number so we can also have a look at the status.
Thanks
Stefan Renner

Veeam PMA
3d0
Novice

Post by 3d0 »

Hello,
I'm writing for the same warning but in a different scenario:

03/04/2024 06:12:25 :: A problem occurred during setting the immutable flag: Immutability period for some backups exceeds the maximum value allowed by the target repository, using the maximum supported value instead.

I'm aware that it's legits and appears due to the difference bethween the immutability configured on our DataDomain (15gg), and the GFS retentiont that maintains: 14 restor point + weekly full 4 weeks + monthly full 12 months.

But the above scenario is the desidered one. :)

Is there a way to tell Veeam to ignore this specific check? As to avoid the warn to appear?

In eg., something like the register key that avoid warnings on free space as follow:
Key Location: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam EndPoint Backup
Value Name: DisableVolumeFreeSpaceCheckWarning

Thank you!
n.mattia
Lurker

Post by n.mattia »

Hi, thank you 3d0 I have the same issue.
It would be awesome to suppress these warnings or, better, have the ability to set the GFS restore point immutability period.
Having immutable restore points for 2 years is likely to cause saturation of backup repositories.