Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
rrkerr
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Ryan

Moving a replica VM to another datastore

Post by rrkerr »

Hi all
been searching through the forums for an answer to this but can't find it yet... vSphere 4.1, Veeam B&R 6 update3

I want to migrate a replica VM to another datastore, but getting this error:

Moving a virtual machine that has snapshots is not supported when the virtual machine has disks or other files placed outside of its home directory and datastore.

The replica VM does have multiple disks in separate datastores as the message states but how do a get around this; can I consolidate the snapshots (snapshot manager delete all) as a workaround or is there another way via the Veeam UI without loosing the restore points, i.e. what are my options for moving a replica to another datastore without having to start from scratch?
If I delete all snaps from vSphere client, I assume I loose all the restore points in Veeam but it won't stop me from failing over to replica VM to the most recent PIT?

thanks in advance
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Moving a replica VM to another datastore

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Ryan,
rrkerr wrote:The replica VM does have multiple disks in separate datastores as the message states but how do a get around this; can I consolidate the snapshots (snapshot manager delete all) as a workaround or is there another way via the Veeam UI without loosing the restore points, i.e. what are my options for moving a replica to another datastore without having to start from scratch?
I would try to do the following, might help:

1. Run a VM Copy job to transfer the entire VM folder
2. Remove replica VM from inventory (do NOT delete it)
3. Register this VM in the inventory
4. Map existing job to this relocated
rrkerr wrote:If I delete all snaps from vSphere client, I assume I loose all the restore points in Veeam but it won't stop me from failing over to replica VM to the most recent PIT?
Yes, as soon as you consolidate all snapshots to the virtual disk, these points will not be accessible by Veeam B&R server to perform a failover, however you will still have the latest point in time available.

Thanks!