Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dspringer
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: David Springer

Instance Licensing

Post by dspringer »

I don't really know if this is the right Sub-Forum. If not, please move it.

It's done... Today we have finally moved away from socket-based licensing and are obtaining the new licences directly from a service provider.
At least it has already worked at a second location, while our main data centre here still needs an adjustment to the firewall. (The entry under "Backup Infrastructure" cannot check the SSL certificate.)

However, I noticed something there straight away, which I have already asked our service provider about via Teams - but perhaps you are a little quicker ;)
The licence information shows me 22 recognised VMs in the Instances tab. However, there is also a multiplier of 11, resulting in 242 instances. Where does the multiplier come from or how does it come about? When I look at the whole thing via "Manage...", the number 11 instances appears after each individual VM.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Instance Licensing

Post by Mildur »

Hi David

Looks your service provider has given you a rental license. Your service provider has to report to Veeam <11 points per VM for Enterprise Plus>.
End customer licenses with instances (Veeam Universal License) does not generate 11 points per workloads.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vcsp/ ... hines.html

Rental license are used by service provider to provide managed backup services to a customer:
https://www.veeam.com/licensing-policy.html
3.20. Rental License
“Rental License” means a License Type that grants Veeam Cloud & Service Providers (VCSP) the right to use the Software to perform systems management services for their customers or clients based on monthly usage being reported and paid for by the VCSP. Copies of Rental Licenses can be produced by VCSPs using self- service functionality of Veeam ProPartner Portal to generate individual licenses for their customers’ or clients’ environments. More details on VCSP program.
Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
dspringer
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: David Springer

Re: Instance Licensing

Post by dspringer »

Thank you very much