Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
TimWalker
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Tim Walker

Restoring/searching for email in old Exchange version (2010)

Post by TimWalker »

Hi
Had a request to check for an email sent 'pre pandemic' today....
I have the backups of our old Exchange 2010 server from 2019/2020.
I went to open a backup in veeam and I get the message in Veeam Explorer for Microsoft Exchange "This version of Microsoft Exchange is not supported."

Before I raise a support case, can someone point me in the direction to download an old version of Veeam Explorer for Microsoft Exchange? Can I install alongside the current version or do I need to do something clever?

Many thanks
Tim
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Restoring/searching for email in old Exchange version (2010)

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
that would be the Backup & Replication V11 ISO from the downloads section. https://www.veeam.com/kb4245 has a link to the ISO

installing old explorers on a machine that has newer explorers won't work. So that needs to be a separate machine.

Alternatively, it should might also work to boot the old Exchange (maybe some AD issues might happen, that's why I say "may") with instant recovery and extract it directly from the Exchange.

Best regards,
Hannes
Beheer
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Beheer at Albron

Post by Beheer »

Hi,

I have the exact same issue, but the answer above is not really a solution.
A legal issue popped up at our company that could cost a lot if we don't deliver old email that proove somehing.

How to get the right version of Exchange explorer installed? Which B&R version supported Exchange 2010?
If it is not possible to install it on the current B&R version 12 machine (which makes sence), than what should we do?
Can we use a temporary server, install an older version of B&R, with older Exchange explorer?
Would that work, without a B&R license key, or should we use an old license key that we must still have somewhere?
As far as I know only one B&R machine may exist in a backup environment, right?

I hope that someone can point me in the right direction, Regards, Han
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hi Beheer
How to get the right version of Exchange explorer installed? Which B&R version supported Exchange 2010?
The last version which supported Exchange 2010 was Veeam Backup & Replication v11a.
You can get it from here: https://www.veeam.com/kb2680
If it is not possible to install it on the current B&R version 12 machine (which makes sence), than what should we do?
Can we use a temporary server, install an older version of B&R, with older Exchange explorer?
You must use a dedicated server. Mixing v11a and v12 on the same server is not supported.
A temporary server is the solution. Please be aware, you cannot use v11a to restore from v12 backup files.
Would that work, without a B&R license key, or should we use an old license key that we must still have somewhere?
As far as I know only one B&R machine may exist in a backup environment, right?
You can install Veeam Backup & Replication v11a without a license. Restore always works with the free edition.
It will be totally fine to use a free version in the same environment as your licensed backup server for a restore scenario.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Beheer
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Beheer at Albron

Post by Beheer »

Hello Fabian,

Thank you for your reply.
I installed Veeam B&R 11a on a server, letting it run in "Community mode".
Installed Outlook 2016.
Imported the exchange backup (.vbk) from 2015, selected teh VM Restore application items, MS Exchange, and the mailbox could be restored.

Hope they find what they need :-)
Regards,
Han