Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
Pagrossman
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Jan Gross

Slow backup copy job in case that that mailbox has large number of folders

Post by Pagrossman »

Hi,

We detected that if we backup (incremental backup) some mailbox and time of backup can be around one minute which is absolutely ok, so backup copy job copies this mailbox more than 30 minutes.
We have about 30 mailboxes with this behavior.
We tried to investigate where is the problem and found that if user has more folders in his mailbox, then backup copy job needs more time (backup job not, it is quick... only backup copy job).

Here few examples:

User1: Backup time: 3 minutes, Copy time: 45minutes (folders: 5050, new items: 0)
User2: Backup time: 1 minute, Copy time: 35 minutes (folders: 2075, new items: 5)
User3: Backup time: 2 minutes, Copy time: 1 hour (folders: 2345, new items: 21)
User4: Backup time: 1 minute, Copy time: 55 minutes (folders: 1262, new items: 19)
etc...

Normal users with up to 100 folders have copy time up to 30 seconds...

do somebody have the similar behavior?
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 712 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Re: Slow backup copy job in case that that mailbox has large number of folders

Post by Polina »

Hi Jan,

This is somewhat expected because the backup copy increments mechanism is very different from regular backups. At the same time, 30min vs a few min doesn't look fair and is worth a closer look by our RnD.
Could you share your logs via a support case? and please post your case ID here for the follow-up.

Thanks!
Pagrossman
Enthusiast

Post by Pagrossman »

Case #05694031
Pagrossman
Enthusiast

Post by Pagrossman »

Does somebody the same problem?
Did somebody try to use archiver appliance?
rtheseeker
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Rajeev Mehta

Post by rtheseeker »

I seem to have a simlar issue; we are copying from one azure to aws however the trouble is it is random; we have multiple proxies so for few days all the backup copies would work and then one day few copy jobs will be slow and then rest and the issue would occur again. Veeam support initially suggested a reboot of proxy during the update could trigger this as it does consistency check; however; I have not rebooted any of the proxies recently and still see this happening randomly; I had installed a .dll supplied by Veeam support and nothing changed and they have now provided another dll; which probably I will have to skip as I am going to install the most recent Veeam VBO version ( currently we have 7.0.0.4388) Case #07037201; I had reported this issue back in Oct last year unfortuently I still do not know whats causing this slowness; it is with Veeam L2 support at the moment

Also there is no definate answer from Veeam as to what is causing this; to me it seems some kind of logic which checks mailbox items however not sure
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 712 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina »

Hi Rajeev,

Your support case has been escalated to RnD for investigation. There's active research at the moment, and I should get more details on the root cause and potential solutions early next week. Please stay in contact with our support engineers to get the latest updates.

Thanks!