Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
uk1984
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Udo Kloos

Notification to 3rd Party Monitoring for Unmanaged Veeam Plugins

Post by uk1984 »

We make use of different Veeam Enterprise Plugins, like SAP HANA and Oracle RMAN.
Which we see having Warnings in the VBR Server but it seems there are no Windows Event logs generated from them like the normal backup jobs do.

We use the Windows Eventlogs as source for our third party Monitoring system, and right now we are missing on the Enterprise Plugin Warnings...

Veeam Support wrote me this:
"Standalone Plugin jobs does not produce Events, but Managed plugin jobs should do that.
Also, Powershell commandlets should be able to get the session objects for the Plugins."

So I would like to ask, which practicable options are available to get the information from
Veeam to our 3rd Party Monitoring if "unmanaged" Plugin Jobs have Warnings or Errors?

Best Regards
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Notification to 3rd Party Monitoring for Unmanaged Veeam Plugins

Post by Mildur »

Hi Udo

As a workaround, can your third party monitoring system analyze logs directly from the protected machines instead of the backup server?
https://www.veeam.com/kb2871
Linux: /tmp/veeam_plugin_logs/
Windows: %ProgramData%\Veeam\Backup\RmanPluginLogs\
Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
uk1984
Service Provider

Post by uk1984 »

Our Monitoring Team will evaluate this.
Are there maybe other/more elegant options, then parsing through logfiles?

I mean in VBR Console the status and information is present, is there no possibility to grab information directly from there?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hi Udo

I shared your feedback with the team. As a workaround to not connect to every database server, you could use PowerShell to retrieve the plugin job session details. Maybe your monitoring system can process PowerShell queries?

Code: Select all

Get-VBRPluginBackupSession | Where-Object {$_.sessiontype -eq "OracleRmanBackup"}
Get-VBRPluginBackupSession | Where-Object {$_.sessiontype -eq "SapHanaBackup"}
Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
bct44
Veeam Software
Liked: 29 times

Post by bct44 »

Is your monitoring tool able to query your sgbd engines, retrieve snmp traps, retrieve standard script output? Another possibility could be to trigger your rman/hana backup jobs from an external scheduler or windows scheduled task and retrieve the result from event logs.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

If we're talking about external schedulers, I'm wondering why not use our application backup policy to handle RMAN and SAP HANA backups?

Thanks!
uk1984
Service Provider

Post by uk1984 »

As of now we wanted to keep the backups/restore for the applications in the known environment of the database admins.
They can keep their scripts and so on.

Also Veeam is still lacking of proper RBAC so we can give our sap, oracle admins only the necessary rights for their workloads/tasks...

Best Regards
Udo
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

Ok, your request is noted. I never tested it but another option might be to extend your scripts to analyze the backup result directly in RMAN/HANA catalog and create an event so that your monitoring tool can see it later. For example, this cmdlet creates a new event log and this one writes events to the log. I fully understand that it's not convenient and propose to consider it as a temporary workaround only.

Thanks!