Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
DanielJ
Service Provider
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Daniel Johansson

"Quick replication"

Post by DanielJ »

Suppose I have a replication job with several vms. Is there any possibility to run replication for just one of those vms, akin to "quick backup" but for replication instead? Rather than having to run the whole job. If so, I haven't found it. I often assist with migrating vms where the application/operation team needs to finalize stuff on the vm and shut it down nicely before doing the final replication, followed by powering up the replica. VBR often has no connection to the vm networks so we don't want to use its failover options. I have resorted to using one replication job per vm in these cases, which is tedious to set up. If there is no such possibility today, please consider this a feature request for a "quick replication" option. It feels like it should be easily implemented.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: "Quick replication"

Post by Mildur »

Hello Daniel

Thank you for the request. It's not possible today.
BR often has no connection to the vm networks so we don't want to use its failover options.
But I believe, the following process could work even if you don't have a direct connection to the virtual network of the VM.
The backup server doesn't have to access the guest OS over network.

1.) Make the changes on the original VM
2.) Power down the VM
3.) Perform a planned failover
4.) Wait for the two replica sessions to be finished
5.) Let the application/operation team confirm that the replica VM is ok
6.) If clean, perform a permanent failover

When you run the planned failover, it will run two replica sessions for that VM.
The second replica session won't replicate any VM data because the replica is already up to date.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software