Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
ShawnKPERS
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Shawn Nix

Backing up a backup set that spans a month to a single tape media set

Post by ShawnKPERS »

I have a VM backup to disk job that takes a full backup on the first of every month then performs daily incremental backups for the rest of the month till a new backup set begins on the first of the next month.

Is there a way to back all of these VM backups for a given month to a single media set on tape automatically? I don't mind if the backups go to tape directly after they are backed up to disk each day or if they need to be backed up all at the same time at the end of the month.

Any help is appreciated. Case #07202678
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Backing up a backup set that spans a month to a single tape media set

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
does the Always continuing one media set maybe help to achieve what you try to do (I guess you try o minimize the number of tapes used)?

Best regards,
Hannes
ShawnKPERS
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Shawn Nix

Re: Backing up a backup set that spans a month to a single tape media set

Post by ShawnKPERS »

Thanks for the suggestion Hannes. That won't work in this situation since I want the media set to only hold all the incremental and full backups for a given month. The media set would need to know to update to a new media set when the next month starts.

I reached out to support and they suggested using the "Process latest full backup chain only" option found in the tape job under Options>Advanced... button>Advanced Tab> Under the "Backup" section. It states that if there are multiple full backup chains on disk, that it will copy the latest chain only. Then you just need to set the tape job to backup to backup the full and incremental files in that same job. Then set the media pool where the tapes are so that the "Media Set", Creates new media set for every backup session.

Then you run your Veeam backup job all month and then on the last day of the month after the Veeam job finishes it's last backup for that month. Then you run the tape job and it will collect all the Veeam backup full and incremental files for that month and put them to tape under a single media set. Then next month the process starts all over again and will backup to it's own media set at the end of that month.