Backup of NAS, file shares, file servers and object storage.
Max93
Influencer
Liked: never

Archived SMB files cannot be restored!?

Post by Max93 »

Hello everyone,

I created an archive repository and archived all backups older than 1 month.

These are Unstructured Data SMB File Shares.

How do I get the archive imported so I can restore files from the archive? I've already run a rescan of my archive repository, but it doesn't find any backups.

I can't find anything about it in the documentation and instructions from Veeam itself or the information isn't correct.

I'm really frustrated...

I hope someone can help me here?

##### History ######

27.03.2024 15:27:13 Starting backup repositories synchronization
27.03.2024 15:27:13 Enumerating repositories
27.03.2024 15:27:13 Found 1 repository
27.03.2024 15:27:19 Processing backup repositories
27.03.2024 15:27:18 Backup Repository Archiv: skipped 1
27.03.2024 15:27:22 Backup repositories synchronization completed successfully
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Archived SMB files cannot be restored!?

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
"skipped 1" means it was found and very likely there was nothing to do.

What are you trying to do? Does the "restore" wizard not show an archived file you try to restore? Do you try to restore a file or a folder?

Did you reconfigure anything that the "archive repository" is now somehow "standalone" or something else?

In general, the normal restore wizard should show everything in archive and restore from there. Automatically. There is no need to select the archive repository manually.

Best regards,
Hannes
Max93
Influencer
Liked: never

Re: Archived SMB files cannot be restored!?

Post by Max93 »

Hello HannesK,

I discovered the archive repository in the backup jobs for SMB File Share. I configured it to move all files older than 1 month to my archive repository, and it worked successfully.

According to the Veeam documentation, a new section named "Disk (Archived)" should appear under "Backups" in VBR. However, this is not happening. Following advice from Veeam support, I rescanned all repositories, but unfortunately, it didn't resolve the issue. Hence, I still encounter the message about skipped backups.

After extensive searching, I found out that the archived files are only available directly in the backup under the "All Time" option. Normally, I select individual restore points, expecting to see something like "Archived Restore Point," but it's not there. Instead, I have to click on "All Time."

Despite this workaround, it's puzzling that the archived files are not directly accessible under "Backups -> Disk."

Best regards,
Max