Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
nightforger
Lurker
Liked: never

Removing Complementary Instance Licences from Enterprise Socket Licence

Post by nightforger »

Hey there,

Couldn't find any info on this, but I am trying to add 10 Advanced VUL licenses to my VBR server, but the issue is my company uses socket based licensing which comes with complementary licenses which I think are the most basic of the license type. We needed to buy Advanced licenses for AIX lpar backups. Issue is when you add the 10 of the advanced to the complementary licenses pool. It downgrades the licenses to the same level as the free ones.

I have tried to remove the instance license in the enterprise manager, but when I do, the 6 remain. Is there anyway to remove it without needing to build a different VBR server?

Thanks
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6762 times

Re: Removing Complementary Instance Licences from Enterprise Socket Licence

Post by Gostev »

Hello, this is explained in the Licensing Policy. When Socket licenses are present, their edition will define platform capabilities level (what you call downgrade). So yes, you should either build a different VBR server, or alternatively migrate your Socket licenses to VUL. Thanks
BIGNOOKIE
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Nick Johnston

Post by BIGNOOKIE » 1 person likes this post

Unfortunately, the VUL isn't universal at all. It's conditional. A marketing stitch-up if ever there was one.
If it was truly universal, you could buy it and use it however you want, but that isn't the case.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6762 times

Post by Gostev »

No conditions there, VUL by itself is truly universal. I have personally designed it to be. As soon as you migrate your licenses to VUL fully, you will see for yourself that the promise is true.