Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jthacker
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Jacob Thacker

Different VBR Server as Target WAN Accelerator

Post by jthacker »

I have a bit of a unique scenario where I have 3 sites each with their own VBR server. I am backing up over the WAN in round robin style so each site has an offsite backup. I want to implement the WAN acceleration feature however I have no free servers at any site and all servers within each site are apart of their respective VBR infrastructure. Is it possible to adopt a remote VM or VBR Host Server into a different VBR's Infrastructure to be used solely as a target WAN Accelerator?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2327 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Different VBR Server as Target WAN Accelerator

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hello Jacob

WAN Accelerators can be shared between different backup servers. But we don't recommend to do it.
When you update one VBR server, you have to update the others as well. And each backup server won't be aware of the other backup servers resource consumption on the WAN Accelerator. This can lead to performance impact for some backup copy jobs.

I suggest you rethink your design to use a single backup server for managing all three sites or deploy dedicated windows servers for each backup server to use as WAN Accelerators.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software