Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
TheWaterbug
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Steven Kan

Moving Rotated HDDs from Main Office to Home Office?

Post by TheWaterbug »

My backup scheme is currently as follows:

I currently have 2 "AirGap" USB external HDDs that I rotate on the main Veeam box at the Main Office.

It would be more secure to have them at my Home Office, attached to the repository that's already there.

This may be a stupid question, but if I move the HDDs to Home Office and attach them to the repo, then set up a Backup Copy job from the Home Office repo to the USB HDDs, is Veeam smart enough to send the traffic directly over USB? Or would it pass it to the B&R server at the main office and then back again?

Also, since both external HDDs already have copied backup sets on them, if I move them to the offsite repo box, will the job be smart enough to "inherit" those backups, or should I wipe them and start over?

And should I create a New Backup Copy job? Or should I edit the existing Backup Copy job to change the source and destination?

Thanks!
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 730 times

Re: Moving Rotated HDDs from Main Office to Home Office?

Post by PTide » 1 person likes this post

Hi,
if I move the HDDs to Home Office and attach them to the repo, then set up a Backup Copy job from the Home Office repo to the USB HDDs, is Veeam smart enough to send the traffic directly over USB?
It very much depends on how your Home Office repositories are configured.

Your source MicroServer has to host Veeam Datamover, and the target HDDs must be connected to some server that is also capable of hosting a repository role.
In this case you can achieve a direct transfer route between the source MicroServer and the target HDDs.
More details here.
if I move them to the offsite repo box, will the job be smart enough to "inherit" those backups
You can use the backup seeding feature to make Veeam pick-up those backups.
should I create a New Backup Copy job? Or should I edit the existing Backup Copy job to change the source and destination?
It's up to you. Provided that you use seeding, both approaches can work.

Thanks!
TheWaterbug
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Steven Kan

Post by TheWaterbug »

Thanks!

The Veeam box at the main office is running B&R 12 on Win10Pro/64. How do I tell whether Veeam Datamover is installed/running/configured?

The remote repository is also running Win10Pro/64, and is a Veeam repository, but is not a "server," so to speak. What defines a server in Veeam terminology?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 730 times

Post by PTide »

Datamovers are installed on every host that is configured to serve as a backup proxy or as backup repository.

"Server" is any host that has been assigned a certain Veeam role (proxy/repository/gateway/other).

Thanks!