Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
RobMiller86
Service Provider
Liked: 23 times
Full Name: Rob Miller

Jobs stuck "pending" forever

Post by RobMiller86 »

Case # 07224264

Anyone else see this issue where Hyper-V jobs start, the list of VMs is populated in job statistics, but each one of the VMs, if you click on it in the job statistics, the right side "action" column is blank? The VMs never start processing, VBR doesn't list anything in statistics about why it's pending, or what it's waiting on, and the job will sit like this forever. If you try to stop it, it will then sit on "stopping" forever. The only fix once a job enters this state is to restart the VBR services, or reboot the VBR. Then the same job works fine. When this does happen, it affects every VM in the job, but every other job runs fine. It's 1 job, and all VMs in the job, and the job that has the issue is random, other than always being a Hyper-V job.

It only happens to Hyper-V jobs, never to VMware jobs. We've been increasing resources to our DCs, updating and rebooting clusters, the problem always returns. As we add more jobs, this is becoming a large hindrance. I have a case open, but was wondering if anyone else has run across this issue.

Thanks.
david.domask
Veeam Software
Liked: 326 times

Re: Jobs stuck "pending" forever

Post by david.domask »

Hi Rob,

Thanks for sharing the case number; the behavior is a bit unclear at the moment, but the Support Team is working on a theory I see and should have an update for you soon, so let's wait for Support's update.

I did want to note regarding SCVMM as you asked about it in the case, I don't think the blog post you referenced was meaning to tell you _should_ rush away from an SCVMM configuration with Veeam, more that the blog post was hoping for some QOL improvements for SCVMM from Microsoft. The "easy" part is more about less complexity I think as you don't need to deal with SCVMM issues like problems with network connection or SCVMM going un-responsive). So I don't think there's a need to rush SCVMM out the door just yet, I would advise waiting for Support's analysis and _IF_ SCVMM is suspect, it's best we understand what's hapening in full before deciding to make the change.
David Domask | Product Management: Principal Analyst