Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
jvrooijen86.aca
Lurker
Liked: never

Backup flow agent backup

Post by jvrooijen86.aca »

Hi there,

I'm planning on using a Linux Hardened repository in a secondary site, we have a few servers which need a Veeam agent backup.
As it is not possible to use a backup proxy for the agent backup i'm curious how the backup traffic flow will go.
My idea is to create a backup repository in the secondary site. The Veeam backup server is already running in the primary site.
As I can't configure the backup proxy/gateway to use a server on the secondary site is my assumption correct that all the traffic will flow through the backup server on site A?
Also I can't set a default gateway when adding a Linux hardened repository.
As Veeam states on their own information the Veeam agent will use the backup server as default.
What would be the ideal setup to keep the traffic at Site B?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2334 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Backup flow agent backup

Post by Mildur »

Hi jvrooijen86.aca

Veeam Agent does not leverage the veeam Proxy or a gateway server to write backups to a hardened repo.
Data Flow from the Agents will be directly to the linux hardened Repo.

Best way to set up would be a backup storage on the primary site (short term retention) with a copy job to the linux hardened Repo on the secondary site (long term retention). That would give you a second immutable backup copy. 3-2-1-1-0 Rule :)
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
thomas.biesmans
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times

Post by thomas.biesmans »

Apologies for dragging and old cow out of the mud, but can I get a link to the documentation that states this need for direct communication please? Got a customer that has a hardened repo connected directly to their Backup Server, not on the LAN. They've similarly been told through a Veeam support case that agents need direct connectivity to the hardened repo.

Based on https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120: if I explicitly select a gateway, then backup traffic flows through: "Mount server associated with the backup repository. If the mount server is not accessible, Veeam Backup & Replication fails over to the backup server."
And for synthetic fulls: "Synthetic operations are performed on the mount server associated with the backup repository. If the mount server is not accessible, Veeam Backup & Replication fails over to the backup server."

Seems contradictory. Could you please advise?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2334 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur » 2 people like this post

Hello Thomas

Our support team is correct. Our Veeam Agent will directly communicate with the hardened repository machine during the backup job.
Please see our port requirement guide: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... positories

Your linked help center article mentions at the beginning all repository types which require such a gateway server:
- Shared folder backup repositories
- Dell Data Domain deduplicating storage appliance
- HPE StoreOnce deduplicating storage appliance
- Object storage repository

Hardened Repository is not listed, because hardened repository server do not make use of our Gateway server component. The data mover service is installed directly on the hardened repository server.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
thomas.biesmans
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times

Post by thomas.biesmans »

Hey Fabian,

Ah indeed, an obvious mistake on my part. Thank you very much for the confirmation!