LeoJBI
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Leo Hernandez

Monitor backup capacity???

Post by LeoJBI »

Hello,

I am just starting with Veeam. I have a basic question:

I have a datastore assign for my backup(s). However, I wanted to know how do I monitor the datastore to determine when it is getting full? Or how much physical space a full back took?

This will help me to determine the capacity.

Thank You.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Monitor backup capacity???

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Leo,

At every job run, Veeam B&R checks disk space on the destination storage. If the disk space is below a specific threshold value, a warning message will be displayed. You can check the defined threshold for disk space via selecting Tools > Options from the main menu.

To review the amount of free space taken by the backup file, you need to click the Properties option for backups, it will give you the information you're looking for (compression and deduplication ratios, available restore points for a particular backup, data size and backup size).

Should more information be required, please take a look at our User Guide (page 205) .

Thank you!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

Backup sizes are also reported in the email notification that is sent upon the job completion.

And for general purpose datastore monitoring (including disk space), I recommend using our Veeam ONE product. This product included in Veeam Essentials and Veeam Management Suite, and can be purchased standalone. It also has Free Edition that might be sufficient for this specific need. By the way, Veeam ONE is integrated with Veeam Backup & Replication (for example, it shows B&R activity on the graphs).
LeoJBI
Influencer

Post by LeoJBI »

By the way, Veeam ONE is integrated with Veeam Backup & Replication (for example, it shows B&R activity on the graphs).
I am using Veeam Backup & Replication 6.0. Where do I find Veeam ONE within this product?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

It is a separate product. I have linked it in my post above.
LeoJBI
Influencer

Post by LeoJBI »

Hello,

I have yet to install Veeam ONE. However, I have completed two backups sessions for a total of 3 VM's. But, I already have received an error. I'll research my error later - it is unrelated to my spatial concerns. My concern is that I believe that my backup with an error is now useless and occupying space.

At this point, I am not aware of how to keep a watch on space? I have more VM's to back up and I would like to be able to monitor my space utilization?

The backup reports tell me how much I consumed in regards to the backup session.

Thanks again for your help.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

You will get a warning automatically when the backup repository will be reaching its capacity. The warning threshold can be changed under Tools > Options. Thanks!
LeoJBI
Influencer

Post by LeoJBI »

Thank you,

I have those parameters set. I guess I'm just thinking in conventional standards but this appears to be more reactive than proactive. Meaning; If I am holding a tape cartridge that has a capacity of a gig. and I used half the space. I know I only have half-a-gig. available.

Now if I have a database that I need to backup that is one gig . I know I better find another tape because it is not going to fit on the one with only half-a-gig available.

The real world concern for me is if the backup fails tonight, This problem will continue until I find sufficient storage space somewhere. Hence, I go without a backup of my critical data until this issue is resolve.
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 » 1 person likes this post

I suspect having both compression and deduplication in place with also random data coming into the repository, it's kinda hard to tell "in advance" how much space a single backup execution will occupy on the target disk. What you would need is a sort of "dry run" of the job to estimate the space usage, but this will mean to run the backup anyway, only without saving the data to disk.
This is something time consuming and putting I/O load to prod and backup storage, without doing the backup. Also, between the dry run and the backup, data is going to change, so the estimate could be affected...

IMHO, another useful way would be to have a setting in the job to keep the maximum amount of retention points, and start deleting the oldest ones once the free space goes under a configured value.

My 2 cents..
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1