Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
gpburth
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Georg Philipp Burth

Combine Veeam Operator Roles in one user?

Post by gpburth »

After upgrading to 12.1 a few weeks ago we introduced 2FA for our B&R installation. But I've a bit of a problem with the Roles system.

Our use case is that some of my coworkers do backups of the ESX VMs just before a "biggish" upgrade - and if that fails they also need to be able to restore easily (snapshots don't work when there's a change in disk sizes). If I understood the documentation of the Veeam Role System correctly, "Veeam Backup Operators" can do backups but no restores, while "Veeam Restore Operators" can only do restores, no backups. So we'd need two separate users, ideally for every coworker, and they'd need to relogin every time they want to switch between making a backup and restoring.
Is it possible to combine both roles for one user object? If not: will this be possible in the future?

Apologies if this was answered elsewhere already, but I could't find it on a short search in this forum.
david.domask
Veeam Software
Liked: 353 times

Re: Combine Veeam Operator Roles in one user?

Post by david.domask » 1 person likes this post

Hi Georg,

With the Veeam Backup and Replication console, you're correct it would be two entries in the Users and Roles section, but you can combine roles for the same user:
You can assign several roles to the same user. For example, if the user must be able to start jobs and perform restore operations, you can assign the Veeam Backup Operator and Veeam Restore Operator roles to this user.
Alternatively, consider Veeam Enterprise Manager and its Accounts and Roles.

Enterprise Manager offers more granular access control (e.g., which machines can they perform operations on, what kind of restores) and might be better for your liking. Though naturally just adding both roles in the Veeam Backup and Replication console is quite suitable.
David Domask | Product Management: Principal Analyst
gpburth
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Georg Philipp Burth

Post by gpburth »

Hi David,

thanks for the hint with multiple Roles for the same user account. We now were able to test it and it works fine. With the layout of the GUI for it I somehow expected to be only able to assign one Role :-)
david.domask
Veeam Software
Liked: 353 times

Post by david.domask » 1 person likes this post

Hi Georg,

Glad I could help and that it's meeting your needs.

I can understand that it's not immediately visible, so will consider how we can improve on this.
David Domask | Product Management: Principal Analyst