Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
jhonatanwick12
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Gomgom Jhonatan Marbun

Can we continue failed differential backup?

Post by jhonatanwick12 »

Hi everyone,

currently work in my company and I've been tasked with a backup VM using VEEAM. I've already read some documentation about backup behavior in VEEAM and made me wonder about some things (my bad for not fully understanding the documentation :D ).

Case Example
I make a backup job to backup the VM from ESXi. The schedule is Sunday is full backup and the rest is differential. As far as I know, when one of the differentials is corrupt or fails, the backup chain is broken, and a restore operation can't be done (or at least we can restore from the last full backup if I'm not mistaken). Let's say my differential backup fails on Wednesday, my question is can I continue the differential backup and the chain is still "good" for restoration or should I take the full backup the next day or at the time when I know the job has failed?

Thank you everyone.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6774 times

Re: Can we continue failed differential backup?

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Hi, failed backups don't create a usable restore point so they don't break an incremental chain. So you can continue normally, your next backup will be a regular incremental backup and if successful, it will be recoverable. Thanks!
jhonatanwick12
Novice

Post by jhonatanwick12 »

Gostev wrote: May 07, 2024 7:07 am Hi, failed backups don't create a usable restore point so they don't break an incremental chain. So you can continue normally, your next backup will be a regular incremental backup and if successful, it will be recoverable. Thanks!
Hai Gostev,

I appreciate your response. So, in other words, when a differential backup job failed on Wednesday and the job ran again the next day (Thursday) and was successfully done, the whole chain is still usable for restoration and I just can't restore to the point on Wednesday, right?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6774 times

Post by Gostev »

That is correct. Except technically speaking it's incremental, not differential (we don't do differential backups).
jhonatanwick12
Novice

Post by jhonatanwick12 »

Ah Yes, Incremental Backup. My bad for using the wrong terms. Thanks a lot, Sir.
Influencer
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Devin Meade

Post by 18436572 »

We get 1-2% job failures. That's why I use the Automatic Retry option. I have each job set to retry 3 times with 10 minute wait for each attempt. In the rare times a job fails, it waits 10 min and retries - I get a good backup.