Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
chrisflyckelen
Service Provider
Liked: 8 times

[FR] Full backup on tape everyday

Post by chrisflyckelen »

Hey guys,

in the past months, I had the requirements from customers to create a full backup on tape every day.
Due to the termination of the reverse incremental backup chain, I have to create -from my knowledge- a synthetic full backup every day and set the full backup schedule in the backup to tape job to create a full backup every day as well.
Another requirement is to take out the tape of the library every day.

In detail, my feature request is to create a full backup to tape without creating synthetic fulls every day.

Thank you,
Christian
david.domask
Veeam Software
Liked: 355 times

Re: [FR] Full backup on tape everyday

Post by david.domask » 1 person likes this post

Hi chrisflyckelen,

Your options for fulls to tape each day with Backup to Tape are:

1. Synthetic Fulls each day on the source job(s) -- targeting a repository using Fast Clone means the fulls will be "spaceless" on disk and also pretty fast to make, so this is advised if it's feasible in your environment

2. Ensure the source jobs are Forever Forward Incremental (uncheck the boxes to create periodic fulls) and schedule the Virtual Full backup schedule to be each day within the tape job. With a Virtual Full scheduled for each day, this will result in full backups being placed directly on tape (there is no need to stage the full on disk first, the full backup is streamed to tape from the restore points on the repository

Since I see you're a Service Provider, if you're serving Cloud Connect repositories to your tenants and need to protect the tenant backups, please note that only GFS media pools are available at this time, which means you would need to use the 1st option and the Daily Media pool.

The request makes some sense, and will discuss it internally, but for now the above options will be the path towards full on tape each day.
David Domask | Product Management: Principal Analyst
chrisflyckelen
Service Provider
Liked: 8 times

Post by chrisflyckelen » 1 person likes this post

Hey David! :)

Sounds great. Hope to find it in one of the next releases.

Thanks for you feedback.

Warm regards,
Chris
AlphaOmega
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Post by AlphaOmega »

This is why we still use reverse incremental, which is now deprecated. Besides that we had performance problems getting consistent speed to tape without, it was the easiest way to get a complete Backup everyday. A new feature would be great.