Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
elgreco
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: elgreco

veeam copy

Post by elgreco »

i need to move a machine from one datacenter to another one.
i dont need the replication since these is a "one time shoot" but i would like to have a moved image as fresh as possible.

now i would like to ask, when i do veeam copy, do the machine gets copy-ed with the situation when i started the copy, or it gets applied the current status when the copy finish?

so i can close the source and turn on the new copy and have just a "lets say" 5 min gap?

thanks for your reply.

p.s. the macine should be live while performing copy
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: veeam copy

Post by Gostev »

Hi, it sounds like you want to use our Migration job instead.
elgreco
Novice

Post by elgreco »

the migration job does not suits me, since the last time i tried it, it deleted the source guest.
elgreco
Novice

Post by elgreco »

elgreco wrote:the migration job does not suits me, since the last time i tried it, it deleted the source guest.
i wanted to say that once i tried to migrate a linux guest which had on the desination problem with kernel panic on boot and if i didnt had a backup .....u know..
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Well, I suppose you could use vCenter permissions to prevent the account you are using to add your vCenter to Veeam from being able to delete VMs?
elgreco
Novice

Post by elgreco »

No the issue is, that some windows 200 and Linux distro, when migration i experienced that the target machine wouldnt boot or had a kernel panic.
now because i didnt had the source machine, to power it on, i had to do a restore.

now im doing always a clone of the source before the migration, to be 100% sure to have a fast roll back handy.
rbrambley
Veeam Software
Liked: 57 times
Full Name: Rich Brambley

Post by rbrambley »

I'm not exactly sure I understand the scenario fully, but Veeam BaR does offer you a VM Copy job. It's one of the big buttons under the Menus at the top in the GUI. I believe this is what you are asking about?

This job, like all the others, needs VMware to create a snapshot and then Veeam copies the frozen VMDK. If the process takes an hour then the data added to the VM during that hour will not be included because it is not part of the frozen vmdk. To use this it sounds like you will have to disconnect your users or disable your applications and you might as well shut down the VM at that point.

Otherwise, run a replication job to establish a replica, and then later (maybe the weekend) run it again to sync the changes. You can always delete the job in Veeam once you have your copy updated without deleting the replica VM.
rbrambley
Veeam Software
Liked: 57 times
Full Name: Rich Brambley

Post by rbrambley »

I just realized, but you could also run the VM Copy job again on the weekend (or schedule it to run periodically), but the difference is that it will be a full VM Copy again every time it runs. A replication job would be just the changes.