Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
pufferdude
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Jim

Where did snapshot size go?

Post by pufferdude »

After un-installing Monitor v5 and installing Veeam ONE v6, I cannot find the "snapshot size" metric on the Top VMs tab. Am I just missing where it is now, or has this been removed? I really relied on that to keep an eye on "forgotten" snapshots, along with the alarms that v5 would send when a snapshot grew beyond a certain % of the VM disk.

Please tell me snapshot monitoring hasn't gone away...
Vitaly.Mzokov
Expert
Liked: 25 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Mzokov

Re: Where did snapshot size go?

Post by Vitaly.Mzokov »

Hello Jim,
Please tell me snapshot monitoring hasn't gone away...
It has NOT. :) Moreover, with Veeam ONE v6 you now have "Snapshot age" alarm which helps monitor forgotten snapshots that are consuming valuable space on your storage.

Go ahead and check out our updated Summary views. See "Latest Alarms" section - it represents a summary on the most recent problems that occurred within your environment. An addition to that, you may also consider using "Alarms by Object" section which gives an overview of the most problematic virtual infrastructure objects at any given virtual infrastructure level. Thus, none of top snapshot users will pass :)

Thanks,
VM.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Jim, you need to open our web-based dashboard called "VMware Datastores" to view top "snapshot size" chart. Thanks!
pufferdude
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Jim

Post by pufferdude »

Thanks! Kind of a bummer that it was removed from my comfy "Top VMs" view in Monitor that I'm so used to, but at least the stats can be found.

The snapshot age alarm sounds like a good addition to the snapshot size alarm that already existed.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

The major reason why we have moved "snapshot users" to this dashboard is that we wanted to consolidate all critical information about datastores in a single place, where you could not only review your current snapshot and datastore state, but also could click on a widget and generate a related report to view missing details and other information.

Hope this makes sense!