Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
homerjnick
Expert
Liked: 35 times
Full Name: Nick Mahlitz

Replication to different subnet

Post by homerjnick »

Hi,

Quick question, can't see the answer in the User Admin manual.

We were sold Veeam on the basis it can replicate our VM's over two different subnets. This works fine but when I failover a VM and the replica powers it on I need to re-ip it.

We were sold Veeam on the basis that Veeam replication had some inhouse Network Translation meaning that even though the VM is now on a different ip that Veeam translated it and the rest of the nodes on our network saw the VM on its original ip.

I had to re-ip the VM to get it to work, something you can set in the settings of the replication job.

So was I misinformed? I would be confused if is this the case as it would mean messing about with firewalls and DNS...and would have some fairly diastrous results if I replicated a DC...
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Replication to different subnet

Post by foggy »

Nick, have you set the Re-IP settings while creating your replica job? To be able to set those settings, you need to select the 'Different IP addressing scheme" check box at the first step of the wizard. Or are you stating that the re-IP rules you specified do not work?
homerjnick
Expert

Post by homerjnick »

I never selected the re-ip in the job...as I assumed that just changed the ip of the VM to an ip on the new subnet...perhaps I should read up on that part? Does selecting that satisfy my requirement?
homerjnick
Expert

Post by homerjnick »

Yup...reading the manual on re-ip it seems to do what I want..apologies for that...I'll recreate my replica with the re-ip selected...