Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
frank412
Novice
Liked: never

Hyper-V Data Exchange integration Service Error

Post by frank412 »

Hi guys! Need help here...

I'm having a hardtime with my Veeam B&R POC for Hyper-V because it had been 5 weeks now since I've started this. On the said duration, I've encountered different errors in which some of these are already addressed thru webex session with Veeam Support(thanks to them). Unfortunately, I'm still dealing with some errors and here's the details:

1. Task failed Error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

2. Unable to allocate processing resources. Error: Unable to allocate resources for taskId: 'xxxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx...'

3. Unable to create snapshot (Microsoft Software Shadow copy provider 1.0). Details: Failed to prepare guests for volume snapshot.

According to Veeam Support during our latest webex session here's the cause of the errors:

1.Microsoft Hyper-V VSS Writer error: Non-retryable error

SOLUTION: Reboot the HOST

2. MS Event Logs | ID 4096 | Hyper-V Integration-Data-Exchange: The Data Exchange integration service is either not enabled, not running or not initialized. (FYI, Integration services are enabled based on the Hyper-V Manager per VM)

SOLUTION: Open a support ticket to Microsoft as this issue is beyond their boundary of knowledge according to the assigned support engineer.

With regards to the first cause, this could be fix by restarting/rebooting the Host according to Veeam Support. I saw this website("http://www.2020media.com/blog/2011/06/n ... v-backups/") which says restarting the Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management could fix this error. I just wanna make sure if doing so couldn't affect the entire operation of the Host and the VMs that resides. Please advice.

With regards to the latter, I found this MS Forum("http://social.technet.microsoft.com/For ... 12ecb390ac") but unfortunately, it is only applicable to Windows XP. What I need is for Windows 7 and MS Server 2008 R2. I hope some of you guys which has the technical expertise/knowledge related to this issue could advice other solution based on your experience.

Any help are greatly appreciated...

Thanks,

Frank
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Hyper-V Data Exchange integration Service Error

Post by foggy »

frank412 wrote:With regards to the first cause, this could be fix by restarting/rebooting the Host according to Veeam Support. I saw this website("http://www.2020media.com/blog/2011/06/n ... v-backups/") which says restarting the Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management could fix this error. I just wanna make sure if doing so couldn't affect the entire operation of the Host and the VMs that resides. Please advice.
Restarting the Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management service would not cause any issues to the running VMs (though it seems that this thread is discussing not exactly the same error).
frank412 wrote:With regards to the latter, I found this MS Forum("http://social.technet.microsoft.com/For ... 12ecb390ac") but unfortunately, it is only applicable to Windows XP. What I need is for Windows 7 and MS Server 2008 R2. I hope some of you guys which has the technical expertise/knowledge related to this issue could advice other solution based on your experience.
My search shows that the given instructions apply not only to WinXP, I think you can try them, if applicable. Also, you could check whether the Hyper-V Data Exchange Service is running within the VM.

Hope this helps.
frank412
Novice
Liked: never

Re: Hyper-V Data Exchange integration Service Error

Post by frank412 »

foggy wrote:Restarting the Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management service would not cause any issues to the running VMs (though it seems that this thread is discussing not exactly the same error).
I think result would be the same in doing so. My main concern in doing this is perhaps this my affect the Host and VMs operation, but since you assure me that doing so will not affect the Host and VMs operation I'll advice the client to restart the said service with no worries.
foggy wrote:My search shows that the given instructions apply not only to WinXP, I think you can try them, if applicable. Also, you could check whether the Hyper-V Data Exchange Service is running within the VM.
I've already tried those instructions for both Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 but after rebooting I ended-up to recovery mode/console. I hope you have other advice...

Thanks,
Frank