Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jzemaitis
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Joe Zemaitis

Extremely SLOW over FC + odd VCB errors. Confused/Frustrated

Post by jzemaitis »

As my VMware implementation is growing I'm starting to experience my first VCB / Veeam backup issues. I have my jobs setup to start running each night 8pm staggered 5 minutes apart. I have 8 jobs totally which are all running within 40 minutes. I configured my backup jobs based on the VM's LUN. Each LUN has it's own job basically. It seems after adding so many jobs I'm getting some odd behavior. The LUN ID's match ac cross the board.

Before I go any further let me summarize my environment. 4 GB HBA on my Veeam/VCB proxy. It's connecting to an HP EVA 4400 and an MSA that only has a few servers on it. I have 5 blades 32GB/8x3.0. Everything is running great. Everything is on the same Fibre switch.

I'm starting to get jobs that do this:

Total VM size: 44.04 GB
Processed size: 0.00 KB
Avg. performance rate: 0 KB/s
Backup mode: VCB SAN

Start time: 6/9/2009 2:38:16 AM
End time: 6/9/2009 6:16:41 AM

Completing current object backup process
VCB error: No active paths found. Error: Failed to export the disk: The requested resource is in use An error occurred, cleaning up...

Total VM size: 31.04 GB
Processed size: 1.86 GB
Avg. performance rate: 302 KB/s
Backup mode: VCB SAN

Start time: 6/9/2009 12:50:18 AM
End time: 6/9/2009 2:38:04 AM

Completing current object backup process
VCB error: No active paths found. Error: Failed to export the disk: The requested resource is in use An error occurred, cleaning up...

Some VM backups within a job just hang there for 8+ hours running at 0 KB/s.

What gives?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: Extremely SLOW over FC + odd VCB errors. Confused/Frustrated

Post by Gostev »

Joe, these errors are all VCB framework errors, which are unrelated to Veeam Backup. Meaning that you would still get these errors if you run the VCB backup command line manually, without even having Veeam Backup installed. I believe that these errors above indicate bad issues with the storage infrastructure.

It would be best if you contact our support first, since they may have seen such issues before and will be able to recommend resolutions based on your logs. In most cases so far our support was able to find the issue without VCB without having to escalate to VMware. But if they cannot find the issue with VCB, then the next step would be to contact VMware support to troubleshoot VCB. As soon as VCB starts work reliably from command line, Veeam Backup jobs will start working normally as well.