Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
mvidalinc
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

backup to FTP destination

Post by mvidalinc » 1 person likes this post

Is it possible to backup to a FTP destination ? It would be very useful !

Alternatively, this tutorial shows another method : https://www.abyssproject.net/2017/06/ve ... nline-net/
Is it good / safe ?

Thank you.
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1211 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Re: backup to FTP destination

Post by nielsengelen »

Currently we don't support FTP as a location. There are also no plans to add this in the next version.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
mvidalinc
Influencer

Post by mvidalinc »

ok, thank you for the anwser.
sixdonuts
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Bryan Clark

Post by sixdonuts »

Yes - this would be a great feature. More and more SFTP is used to backup small but critical app and OS configurations. If Veem could be used as a target AND also track/report on these backups that would be ideal. Currently use a dedicated Linux servers for this purpose but have to track/report on backup status using scripted emails and/or go into the individual apps to verify backup success.
garba1980
Influencer

Post by garba1980 »

Hello everyone and congratulations as always for the forum.
My question is the same as a few years ago, when our company suffered three ransomware attacks in just over a year and a half.
In your opinion, can an FTP server (or SFTP server) still be a valid solution today against cryptolocker malware or ransomware in general?
I am not aware that Veeam has implemented this possibility for backup or replication of virtual machines, i.e. a backup to a repository in an FTP location. However, I wonder, if you can answer me, is an FTP server still a solution for Office type data (Excel, Word, etc etc)?
Thank you very much and best regards.
Luca
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2545 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hi Garba
In your opinion, can an FTP server (or SFTP server) still be a valid solution today against cryptolocker malware or ransomware in general?
FTP is not a supported target in Veeam products. And an online FTP server is not a protection against Ransomware or other attacks. Uploaded files can simply be deleted.

If you are looking for Veeam repositories with ransomware protection, you can choose one of the following options:

Immutable:
- Hardened Repositories
- Object Storage
- HPE StoreOnce
- Dell Data Domain

Air-Gapped:
- External USB Disks (Backup Repositories with Rotated Drives)
- Tape (only for secondary copies of backups)

Insider Protection:
As a customer you will be able to transfer backup data to a cloud connect repository (called cloud repository). For this Cloud repository, the Service Provider can enable Insider Protection.
If an attacker deletes backups on the customer backup server, backup files in this cloud repository will be moved to a recycle bin for a specific amount of days instead of being deleted right away.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
garba1980
Influencer

Post by garba1980 »

Hi Fabian, thanks for the quick reply.
No, mine wasn't a statement but a question.
I was wondering if an FTP server located on my intranet could be a valid solution for Office documents (Word, Excel, etc etc) during a ransomware attack.

Thanks for your explanation, you were very precise.
Luca
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2545 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hi Luca

You mean as a temporary storage to restore word documents until all server are recovered?
- I'm not sure if Office products can work directly with documents on FTP server. I assume not.

Or as a backup target for office documents (manual or scripted copy paste) to an FTP share?
- May be an option. But as long the FTP server is reachable, an attacker probably will find a way to delete files on the FTP share.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
garba1980
Influencer

Post by garba1980 »

Yes, as you say.
I understood and you were clear.
Thank you so much for your time ;-)
Luca