Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
NewLearner
Lurker
Liked: never

Questions on Veeam with P2000 G3 MSA FC/iSCSI Combo SAN

Post by NewLearner »

For SAN storage: P2000 G3 MSA FC/iSCSI Combo Controller
1. The VM images e.g. Win2008, Linux (VMware vSphere 5 Enterprise Plus) stored in SAN and would be mounted by other servers via Fibre Channel
2. The Scanned documents and images stored in SAN with iSCSI for file sharing, one of win2008 vm would mount this iSCS drive and access those scanned images.

A standalone Backup server with FC card connected with P2000 and SAS card with LTO-5 Tape autoloader:
Software installed:
1. VMware vCenter Server 5
2. Veeam Backup & Replication Enterprise
3. ARCserve r16

I would like to know that Veeam can backup VM images via FC directly, can the Veeam also backup the scanned documents stored in iSCSI LUN on the SAN direclty? If yes, Please kindly advise. Many Thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Re: Questions on Veeam with P2000 G3 MSA FC/iSCSI Combo SAN

Post by Gostev »

Hi and welcome to our forums.

1. Yes (see sticky FAQ).

2. No, we don't do file level backup. We do provide File Copy jobs, but this is not real backup - no incrementals, no compression etc. - just a copy, so most likely not what you need for your scanned documents. But, I suppose you could continue using your legacy backup software for file level backups of this data.

Thanks!
NewLearner
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by NewLearner »

Hi Gostev, Thanks for your promptly reply.
I would like to confirm that if the iSCSI LUN has already been mounted as hard drive in guest OS, Veeam can also read the iSCSI LUN directly and copy out the scanned documents, right? If yes, please kindly advise me how to do that. Veeam Proxy needed? Many Thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Post by Gostev »

You should add the Windows Server that has this drive mounted to the list of managed servers (via Add Server wizard).
Then, you should be able to setup File Copy job using the scanned documents folder as a source. Thanks!