Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
aseesing
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Alex Seesing

Missing mount whith individual file restore

Post by aseesing »

I encountered a difference in behaviour of Veeam 3.1 and 3.01:

While 3.0.1 with Windows 2003 was able to restore individual files by mounting the backup to the host, that doesn't happen anymore with 3.1 and Windows 2008. Any chance this can be fixed again? The trouble is for me that the Backup Browser is limited by the guests NTFS permissions so I cannot even reach for those files I'd like to recover. The guest VM is Windows 2008 Web 32bit.

Thanks.
----------------------
Excerpt every option. Despite every effort.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Missing mount whith individual file restore

Post by Gostev »

Alex, we did not have changes in FLR in Backup 3.1, so this is probably related to Windows 2008. I am not exactly sure what your problem is (can you describe in more details please), but if you are using built-in FLR, try using File Level Restore wizard instead. It uses different approach, and is usually capable of overcoming all issue the built-in FLR may run into.

Also, please note that Windows 2008 dynamic disks are not supported for FLR, as per release notes.
aseesing
Influencer

Post by aseesing »

Well, under windows 2003 I noticed that as long as the Backup Browser window is open, the guest VMDK is mounted with a drive letter. This behaviour was expected to happen again but it might also go wrong because Veeam is installed on 64 bit while VCB is running under WOW32 because it is 32 bit software. That also might mess up the behaviour.

Can VMware Player run inside a ESX guest? The installer refuses to continue. Or can I make use of the .ISO and build a VM around this?
----------------------
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

There is a workaround that allows for running VMware Player inside a ESX guest, you can obtain it from our support.

But I still don't understand the original issue. Are you saying you are not seeing drive representing backup file mounted on your Windows system, or that you are not getting the Backup Browser window during FLR, or both? In any case, this should still work on 3.1 and Windows 2008, unless there is a problem with specific guest VM you are trying to restore files from (disk configuration unsupported by FLR). Can you please open the case with our support on that (preferably with some screenshots to make it easier for us to understand the problem)?
aseesing
Influencer

Post by aseesing »

I'm sorry. I actually do get to see the Backup Browser and it shows the content of the VM. And the problem is that this browser cannot enter all folders because of NTFS persmissions inside the VMDK.

And just to be safe I do not make use of dynamic disks because those are very hard to handle in cases of error or disaster. Commercial partition tools cannot handle those dynamic disks.

I'll ask support for the work around. Thanks for the tip! Hope I'll get it working in time.

[edit]
I said all folders, but I ment some folders.
----------------------
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

aseesing wrote:I'm sorry. I actually do get to see the Backup Browser and it shows the content of the VM. And the problem is that this browser cannot enter all folders because of NTFS persmissions inside the VMDK.
Thank you for clarification. Are you positive that this is new to 3.1 and that you did not have this problem before? This has always been the case per devs. What you can do is browse to the required file or folder using Windows Explorer via mounted drive (that appears on your Veeam Backup server after Backup Browser is opened), then perform "Take Ownership" in the security settings of the required file or folder. Don't worry, it will not affect actual backup file, this change will remain in cache. But after this, you should be able to perform FLR for those files even if you didn't have permissions for them. Note that you need to have Local Administrator privileges on Veeam Backup server to perform "Take Ownership" operation. If you have any problems doing this, our support will be able to assist you via webex.
aseesing
Influencer

Post by aseesing »

I cannot see the mounted drive in the Veeam host OS which is in this case Windows 2008 64bit. Therefore I suspect the problem lies somewhere with VCB itself.
----------------------
beckhamk
Enthusiast

Post by beckhamk »

Did you ever figure out how to see the mounted mounted backup drives?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

This thread is quite outdated (related to version 3.1) and I don't think the OP manages to read your question. What kind of problem do you have? If you are using v6, maybe this topic could help? Thanks.