Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Vyras
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Veetus Pack

Licensing

Post by Vyras »

I have B&R standard v6 with one socket license and one source host right now but i need to add a second 1 socket source host to replicate to the same target. My reseller cannot figure out how or what license he should sell me. He made a conference call with a lady from veeam and they are both telling me that i should get a second (same license) and have a second veeam server to install it on. I dont want to have 2 veeam servers (one for each host). I just need the ability to replicate 2 source hosts to a single target. Help me out.
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: Licensing

Post by dellock6 »

You need correctly a second socket license for the additional source socket, but you are not forced to have a second Veeam server; you can use the same Veeam server and simply add the second host (using in this way network mode) or install a proxy role in a windows VM inside the additional server and configure jobs accordingly.
Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

You can have a single Veeam server handling as many hosts as you like, of course - as long as the license file has enough sockets.
Vyras
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Veetus Pack

Post by Vyras »

Thanks for your replies. It is pretty clear from the interface that I can have multiple source servers with appropriate license. But what do I tell my reseller - what license do I need? Can I install 2 license files or do I need 1 file with multiple socket license file and replace the existing one with the new one?
Also what about Lucas suggestion? Would a "proxy role in a windows VM inside the additional server" eliminate the need for additional license?

Veetus
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

No, my suggestion was purely from a technical standpoint, you need to license all the source sockets, whatever backup configuration you choose.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Vyras wrote:But what do I tell my reseller - what license do I need? Can I install 2 license files or do I need 1 file with multiple socket license file and replace the existing one with the new one?
You need to have a single license key for multiple sockets.