Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
cffit
Veteran
Liked: 35 times
Full Name: Christensen Farms

Use same SQL Express instance for VEEAM ONE and VEEAM Backup

Post by cffit »

I have VEEAM B&R v6 installed on a server, and we recently purchased VEEAM ONE. I'm using the local SQL 2005 Express instance that came with B&R. My questions are..

1. Can I use this same SQL Express instance for the VEEAM ONE database?
2. Should I instead install SQL 2008 R2 Express on the server for VEEAM ONE to use in addition to SQL 2005 Express that B&R uses?
3. Is the new 6.1 version of VEEAM B&R that is coming out soon going to come with SQL 2008 R2 Express? In which case I should wait and get that, then install VEEAM ONE into that instance?

I realize SQL 2005 Express has a 4GB database limit and SQL 2010 R2 has a 10GB limit, so it would be nice to put everything on SQL 2008 R2 if possible.

Any suggestions or input would be appreciated.
Vitaly.Mzokov
Expert
Liked: 25 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Mzokov

Re: Use same SQL Express instance for VEEAM ONE and VEEAM Ba

Post by Vitaly.Mzokov »

Hi Christensen,

Correct - MS SQL Server 2005 Express less scalable than MS SQL Server 2008 R2 which comes with Veeam ONE v6.

Answering your questions:
1) Yes, you can utilizes Veeam B&R's MS SQL Server 2005 instance for Veeam ONE v6.
2) This scenario is also supported, as two MS SQL Server 2005/2008 instances can co-exist within one machine.
3) Can't say for sure, but Veeam B&R supports MS SQL Server 2008 R2 even now.

If I were you, I would install Veeam ONE v6 with the fresh MS SQL Server 2008 R2 instance and move Veeam B&R's database to that instance.
In future, when Veeam B&R v6.1 comes out, you can easily upgrade the installation but leave the database as is.

Thanks,
VM.
cffit
Veteran

Post by cffit »

Thanks for the reply. If VEEAM B&R 6 supports SQL 2008 R2 Express I wish that it came packaged with that instead of SQL 2005 Express. I was going to specify VEEAM ONE to use one of our full blown SQL 2008 R2 servers, but the install says that the account used with VEEAM ONE has to have SA permissions I believe. That doesn't fly too well at some places.
Vitaly.Mzokov
Expert

Post by Vitaly.Mzokov »

Christensen,
cffit wrote:...the install says that the account used with VEEAM ONE has to have SA permissions I believe.
Yes, providing System Administrator rights for the account that will be used by Veeam ONE components to access the SQL Server database is one of the main system requirements for the product.

Thanks,
VM.
cffit
Veteran

Post by cffit »

Does it just need the SA permission to create and setup the database, and after that it can be reduced? Or does it need SA to operate once it's all setup and going?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

cffit wrote:Does it just need the SA permission to create and setup the database, and after that it can be reduced? Or does it need SA to operate once it's all setup and going?
I believe db writer and db reader permissions should be sufficient, but it's better to double-check it.
Vitaly.Mzokov
Expert

Post by Vitaly.Mzokov »

Christensen,

You may also grant just DBCREATOR role on SQL Server for the account. This will allow the user to create the database on a SQL Server and become the database's owner after that. Cute, huh? ;)

- VM.
cffit
Veteran

Post by cffit »

Thanks guys. If I do decide to install VEEAM ONE with SQL 2008 R2 Express, then migrate the VEEAM B&R database to it (from the SQL 2005 Express that it installed), is there documentation on how to do that? Or should I post that in the B&R forum instead?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

No need to create a new post, as this procedure has already been covered in the existing topic: Moving Veaam B&R to another VM?

Hope this helps!
Vitaly.Mzokov
Expert

Post by Vitaly.Mzokov »

Also, feel free contacting our support team if you need any assistance.

- VM.
cffit
Veteran

Post by cffit »

Thanks for the help. I did call support. They suggested when I move the database to reinstall, which I did after I moved the database. Now my service accounts don't seem to have permissions to start the services at the end of the install. Someone else had this same problem under another forum article. I posted my comments after his: Move Veeam database only to another sql server
Vitaly.Mzokov
Expert

Post by Vitaly.Mzokov »

Christensen,

Unfortunately, I am not skilled enough in Veeam B&R, but...could you please check if the user account you are using to run "Veeam Backup Service" service has db_owner permissions on the database? Hope it helps.

p.s. Of course, it's better to continue working your issue within the forum post you've provided :)

- VM.
cffit
Veteran

Post by cffit »

Yes, last night I set the service account to be SA role, and then gave it DBO on the database and now it works. I wish there was more documentation on what permissions are needed. On SQL 2005 the service account wasn't even listed as a user, so SQL 2008 must need explicit permissions where 2005 didn't somehow.

Thanks for all your help.
Vitaly.Mzokov
Expert

Post by Vitaly.Mzokov »

I believe that the user account has been listed under database's Security -> Logins instead of being specified under general Security -> Logins node, or vice-versa. :)

Glad to know you're up and running now.

- VM.