Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
emcclend
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Ed

Performance Data Period - Where?

Post by emcclend »

I was wondering where to find the Performance Data Period in Veeam Monitor V6? In V5, it was on Virtual Infrasturcture Summary Tab. I ask because I have V6 running on a test server since you cannot upgrade from V5 to V6 and I want to compare the 2 version. I have noticed that in V5, the my performance data period goes back to Aug. 2010. In V6, I cannot find the performance data period, but I noticed that all of my staticits only go back to early Feb 2012. I checked the vSphere Client and my statistics do indeed go futher back. From my understanding, V6 will import the historical data, but I'm not getting data older than 3 months or so.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Performance Data Period - Where?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Ed,

Yes, your understanding is correct, but not all historical data is imported during the first collection job run. As far as I remember performance data is only retrieved for the past 3 or 6 months (need to double-check it with our devs), so this is expected behavior.

Thanks!
emcclend
Novice

Post by emcclend »

Wow!!! Do you know the reasoning behind that? Sometime I do like to compare 1 year back from today to see how much things have changed.
Vitaly.Mzokov
Expert
Liked: 25 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Mzokov

Post by Vitaly.Mzokov »

Ed,

By default, Veeam ONE v6 has historical data retention polity set to 1 year. Thus, with the default settings you should have at least 1 year of historical performance data in your Veeam ONE's database.
I'm not getting data older than 3 months or so
Do you see 3 months back for all performance counters or only for some of them? Can I ask that you open a case with our support team, as the problem might be related to performance data collection issue.

Thank,
VM.
emcclend
Novice

Post by emcclend »

Yes, all performance coutners only go back to the Feb. 2012 for both Monitor and Reporter. I'll open up a support ticket as well.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Vitaliy.Mzokov wrote:By default, Veeam ONE v6 has historical data retention polity set to 1 year. Thus, with the default settings you should have at least 1 year of historical performance data in your Veeam ONE's database.
Yes, that's true, but this setting does not apply to the initial historical data import.
emcclend wrote:Wow!!! Do you know the reasoning behind that? Sometime I do like to compare 1 year back from today to see how much things have changed.
Just historical reasons, nothing special, our previous version (#5) had the same behavior.
emcclend wrote:I'll open up a support ticket as well.
There is no need to open a support ticket, as we have this setting hard coded (3 months). I'm afraid there is no way to change that, but I will double-check it with our dev team tomorrow and will let you know.

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Have just received a confirmation from our dev team that by default we retrieve performance information for the past 90 days during initial collection job, however If you want to extend this period you may want to contact our support team for further instructions. Thanks!
jeremyh8
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Jeremy Harrison

Post by jeremyh8 »

I am wondering how often it keeps statistics. You have stated that it keeps everything for a year but what are the sample intervals (minutes? hours?)? i assume there is a weekly, monthly, etc... Also are these customizable?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Hi Jeremy, please find an existing topic that should answer your question: Veeam Reporter (nevermind the title)