Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V in a single System Center Operations Manager Console
JerkyChew
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jerky Chew

vMotion / DRS reports?

Post by JerkyChew »

We are looking to create a report of when and how often our VMs automatically vMotion to other ESX hosts. I don't see it in the list of reports; is this something that nworks collects and can report on? If so, how do I generate the report?
vBPav
Expert
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Brian Pavnick

Re: vMotion / DRS reports?

Post by vBPav »

Hello,

You have several options for generating this particular report.

1.) Under the Microsoft Generic Report Library you will find a report called the, "Configuraiton Changes". If you run this report against your "VMGuest Virtual Machines" objects you will get a nice output of all changes that have occurred for each VMGuest. This will include the change of “ESX Host Name” property, when a VM is migrated from one host to another. The PRO to this report is, it works out of the box without any configuration necessary. THe CON is that the change to the "ESX Host Name" property can be delayed up to 20mins from the time the VM actually migrated.

2.) Under the Microsoft Generic Report Library, you will find a report called, "Custom Event". This report spits out a list of events specific to VMGuest Migration events. The PRO to this report is that it includes an accurate time stamp of the event. So, this is much more accurate that #1. The CON is you have to setup the Event Collection Rule in order to generate the necessary event. If interested I can ellaborate on how to do this.

3.) You can use SSRS Report Designer to edit the "Alerts" report within the Microsoft Generic Report Library, to output a similar report to the "Custom Event" report. PRO - this report not only will give you info on when a VMMigrated, but, Alerts also bring in the "Description" of the EventID, which also includes which host the VM was migrated to/from. CON - you have to build this report custom using the SSRS Report Designer, and you will need to enable the "nworks vCenter - VM Migrated" and "nworks vCenter - VM Migrated by DRS" rules.

4.) Alternatively, if you are using Veeam Reporter as part of MPPlus (bundle package), you can easily setup a Config Change report and look specifically for migration events. If you have Veeam Reporter, let me know and I can ellaborate more about this.

Let us know if you have any questions regarding this options.

Thanks!
Brian Pavnick | Cireson| Solutions Architect

- Follow me on Twitter @ vbpav
- Reach me on e-mail @ brian.pavnick@cireson.com
vBPav
Expert
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Brian Pavnick

Re: vMotion / DRS reports?

Post by vBPav » 1 person likes this post

Actually, it looks like Parameter 11 of an event gives the event description. So, #2 would be much more ideal of a solution than any others.
Untitled picture.png
Untitled picture.png (56.74 KiB) Viewed 3124 times
Brian Pavnick | Cireson| Solutions Architect

- Follow me on Twitter @ vbpav
- Reach me on e-mail @ brian.pavnick@cireson.com