Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V in a single System Center Operations Manager Console
Dilip
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: DilipKumar Manchala

Alert Suppression

Post by Dilip »

Hi, I get lot of alerts related to CPU,Memory and Hardware Sensors from nworks MP. Is there anyway I can suppress
these alerts.Like waiting for the monitor to run second time and check for CPU and Memory if they are still high then trigger an alert rather than triggering everytime it monitors the servers.

I even want to know how to suppress the alerting for nworks event log monitoring.I want to suppress the alerts for the same event ID

Thanks,Dilip
Alec King
VP, Product Management
Liked: 362 times

Re: Alert Suppression

Post by Alec King »

Hi Dilip

'Consecutive Sample' Monitors are planned for a future MP update....because of the custom Data Sources in the MP, it's not possible for you to implement them yourself.

These Monitor types are not in the MP yet because you can get a very similar result using the Collector's Collection Interval option.
This is not exactly the same, as it does not count consecutive performance samples; but it does have a similar effect.
For example, if you change Interval from default 5 minutes to 10 minutes, then performance data will be smoothed and averaged over that 10 minute period. This should eliminate any temporary spikes that might generate alerts. (Note that this is a global setting and applies to all metrics)

You will find this in nworks ConfigUI, select Collector, go to Global Settings tab.
5,10,15, and 20 minute intervals are available.
Note you should also be running Collector and MP 4.5.x for this to work as above.

For your event log monitoring suppression question - can you give me more detail? Almost all event-based Rules/Monitors should suppress already, if the event has the same number & source (and applies to the same Host/VM/etc)

Cheers!
Alec
Alec King
Vice President, Product Management
Veeam Software
Dilip
Novice
Full Name: DilipKumar Manchala

Post by Dilip »

Hi Alec,

Sorry I was travelling and can not update the form.I am getting the below alert more often and I want to suppress these alerts nworks VMware: ESX Host Hardware Sensor has breached threshold.As I said before I would like this monitor to be monitored for every 30mins rather than every 10 mins.

Regarding the eventlog in my previous post I was wrong the alert suppression is happening.

Thanks,
DilipKumar
Bruno Varini
Influencer
Full Name: Bruno Varini

Post by Bruno Varini »

Hi Alec,
I've applied your solutions, because I'ved the same problem. But I have set the interval from 5 minutes to 20 minutes to can appreciably'reduce the number of alert.
If I do so, do I risk to loose some important alerts?
cheers,
Bruno
Alec King wrote:Hi Dilip

'Consecutive Sample' Monitors are planned for a future MP update....because of the custom Data Sources in the MP, it's not possible for you to implement them yourself.

These Monitor types are not in the MP yet because you can get a very similar result using the Collector's Collection Interval option.
This is not exactly the same, as it does not count consecutive performance samples; but it does have a similar effect.
For example, if you change Interval from default 5 minutes to 10 minutes, then performance data will be smoothed and averaged over that 10 minute period. This should eliminate any temporary spikes that might generate alerts. (Note that this is a global setting and applies to all metrics)

You will find this in nworks ConfigUI, select Collector, go to Global Settings tab.
5,10,15, and 20 minute intervals are available.
Note you should also be running Collector and MP 4.5.x for this to work as above.

For your event log monitoring suppression question - can you give me more detail? Almost all event-based Rules/Monitors should suppress already, if the event has the same number & source (and applies to the same Host/VM/etc)

Cheers!
Alec
Alec King
VP, Product Management
Liked: 362 times

Post by Alec King »

Hi Bruno

With interval of 20 minutes you still receive all the performance data. But you have less detail, since you only get one data point every 20 mins, instead of every 5 mins.

Note - this does not affect Events, which are still delivered in real-time. The interval only affects performance metrics.

I can tell you that Consecutive Sample Monitors - which will allow you to set the number of samples over threshold before an alert is generated - will be in our MP 5.5. This is scheduled for April. :D
When this is released, you will have 'the best of both worlds' 8) - you will have both a 5-minute interval, and the option of only alerting if 'X' samples are over/under threshold. The number 'X' will be an option you can override for individual monitors.

Cheers,
Alec
Alec King
Vice President, Product Management
Veeam Software
Bruno Varini
Influencer
Full Name: Bruno Varini

Post by Bruno Varini »

Hi Alec,