Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V in a single System Center Operations Manager Console
ScottW
Lurker
Liked: never

Snapshot Age Override Issue

Post by ScottW »

Hello,

I recently deployed nworks 5.7 and began to get a bunch of warning alerts for "VM snapshot age exceed threshold". Most of the alerts are coming from View desktops and as such this isn't actually a problem. So I built a group and used a dynamic membership based on the View desktop names. The group is configured to include any system which has a DNS name that includes "view-" and if I open the group I can see that it has the appropriate number of systems in it. I then created an override for the snapshot rule and configured it to be disabled if the rule were related to any system associated with this dynamic group. For a couple days this seemed to be fine, snapshot alerts were nearly absent. Now however, I see 40+ alerts for systems that are included in the dynamic group. Any thoughts? Is there a better way to handle this kind of exclusion?

TIA
steveburkett
Novice
Full Name: Steve Burkett

Re: Snapshot Age Override Issue

Post by steveburkett »

Perhaps have a read of the nWorks MP Best Practices and Advanced Configuration Guide over in the Downloads section of the Resource Page. In it they go through defining different application levels as Gold, Silver and Bronze depending on their importance/priority in the business, and give the Bronze level members (in their case, development servers) a lower SLA and allow for longer Snapshot Ages compared to the Gold level servers.
ScottW
Lurker

Post by ScottW »

Yes, I have. But what I'm trying to do is eliminate snapshot age for all View desktops. View uses snapshots as part of its inherent functionality so snapshot age is irrelevant for those VMs.
vBPav
Expert
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Brian Pavnick

Post by vBPav »

Scott,

I think you are very close. You may want to verify the class you are targeting in the dynamic group you have created. You will want to target the "VMGuest Virtual Machine" class. An alternative method for targeting your virtual desktops, you may want to try keying off of "Resource Pool Name" or "Cluster Name" properties. This way, if you end up changing your VDI naming scheme down the road, you will not be impacted.

Let us know how it goes! :)
Brian Pavnick | Cireson| Solutions Architect

- Follow me on Twitter @ vbpav
- Reach me on e-mail @ brian.pavnick@cireson.com
Alec King
VP, Product Management
Liked: 362 times

Post by Alec King »

I'd also check that the override for your custom group is Enforced.
There are several built-in groups in our MP controlling overrides for VMs, so if you want to apply custom overrides probably best to Enforce them.

Cheers,
Alec