Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
chaniago
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: chaniago

Error encounter when replicate to DR site with 10Mbps WAN

Post by chaniago »

Dear All,

I have a problem when doing replication to my DR site. I already using the replica mapping to speed up the process. The smaller VM is finish without error, but when it comes to bigger VM (like mail and database), I encounter an error that said "Error: Client error: End of file Unable to retrieve next block transmission command. Number of already processed blocks: [6430].". Every time the error occured, the job will retry, but still the same error, but with different number of processed blocks.

After lots of reading in Veeam forum, I found that maybe it is connection issue (I'm using 10Mbps WAN using Fiber Optic cable), so I disable multiple TCP/IP connection, and create throttling that limit the connection to my DR site to 9Mbps.

After a while, the bigger VM sometimes finish the replication, but often not. And the error seems different from before : "Error: Client error: Exception of type 'Veeam.Backup.AgentProvider.AgentClosedException' was thrown."

I analysis the replication history, and it seems that when the data transfer is large (more that 1GB), the error occurred (the exception). But when only couple hundreds MB, it finish without error.

I already open a support case about this, id 5189070. The support answered that it might be connection problem. But I still confuse about the error, what makes it different?

Thanks for helping.
Best regards,

Chaniago
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Error encounter when replicate to DR site with 10Mbps WA

Post by Vitaliy S. »

chaniago wrote:"Error: Client error: Exception of type 'Veeam.Backup.AgentProvider.AgentClosedException' was thrown."
Have you informed your support engineer about this error? What does he say on that?
homerjnick
Expert
Liked: 35 times
Full Name: Nick Mahlitz

Post by homerjnick »

Interesting...as we have two DR sites on the same bandwidth but one is hundreds of miles away whilst the other is 20 miles away and latency plays a part...I've seen the error "Error: Client error: End of file Unable to retrieve next block transmission command. Number of already processed blocks: [6430]." when replicating a big VM to our furtherest away DR site which has poorer latency whilst it works fine on our closer DR site.

What is your latency like to your DR site when it is not busy and when Veeam is replicating?
chaniago
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: chaniago

Post by chaniago »

Dear Vitaliy.S,
I have informed my support engineer (Alexey Denisov), and also have already send the log files. He suggest that the cause maybe connection problem. But why is the error different from before?

Dear homerjnick,
Our bandwidth is 10 Mbps using Fiber Optic cable, and our DR site is located about 30 miles from here. If we ping when the replication isn't run, we have 1-2 ms for the latency. But when the replication is running, the latency span between 1-10 ms and often RTO occurred.

Thanks for all the help,
Chaniago
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

The first error message is definitely related to network connection issues, you can search these forums for similar examples/topics.
chaniago wrote:But why is the error different from before?
This is exactly why I've asked you to show this error to your support engineer :) I believe that further debug logs investigation is required.