Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
amacbeth
Novice
Liked: never

Job exceeding set restore points

Post by amacbeth »

I have an Veeam Backup job configured for 6 Exchange VMs. They are a mix of Exchange 2003, 2007 and 2010. I have this job set for 14 restore points in order to obtain 2 weeks of backups with 2 fulls. The job is configured as Incremental with synthetic fulls created on Fridays and it's also set to transform previous full backup chains into rollbacks. Inline deduplication is enabled as is VMware Tools quiescence and CBT.

The problem I'm running into is that this job continually exceeds the 14 restore point limit and is currently at between 27-30 restore points depending on the VM. This is causing huge issues with storage as this one job accounts for nearly 4TB of data.

There are a few other concerns I have with this job (like our primary mailbox server constantly being in the 60GB range for nightly incrementals) but my main concern is the fact that it's not keeping only 14 days.

Any help would be appreciated.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6710 times

Re: Job exceeding set restore points

Post by Gostev »

What version are you using? If you are talking about v5, then there are a few big existing topics about this issue.
Likewise, there are a few existing topics about big incremental backup size for Exchange VM.
amacbeth
Novice

Post by amacbeth »

Forgot to mention that part.
We're running v6.0.0.153.

The real concern is the issue with the restore points.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6710 times

Post by Gostev »

First of all, I definitely recommend you bring your B&R deployment to the latest patch level (Patch #3). Even though this probably won't fix your specific issue.

Now, I am not quite sure though why 14 restore points are not maintained, this should definitely be the case with your setup. Frankly, this issue was never reported with v6 before, so it would be best to open a support case and perform the debug log investigation.
amacbeth
Novice

Post by amacbeth »

Thanks Gostev. I will get that process started and post back with any findings.