Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
mteamjpy
Enthusiast
Liked: never

Veeam one 6 Infrastructure design

Post by mteamjpy »

Hi Guys ,

I have been asked to prepare the infrastrucure design before implement veeam one .
I miss a lot of informations, do you have any references to help me ?
on the DB sizing for exemple ...

I also desire to make a risk assessment plan , so during installation , in between , in disaster procedure

If you have any documentation or life experiences they are welcome .

thanks folks
Jean-pol
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Veeam one 6 Infrastructure design

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Jean-pol,

You can review our architecture in the Deployment and User Guides, which are available on our website.

On top of that, could you please tell me what kind of infrastructure are you going to monitor? How many hosts, VMs, datastores do you have? If this is going to be a pretty large deployment, then I would certainly recommend using any remote SQL Server to host Veeam ONE database. Other than that, our installation/design is pretty straight forward and does not require any special knowledge.

Thanks!
mteamjpy
Enthusiast

Post by mteamjpy »

Hi vitaliy,
Thanks for the info , the deployment guide and users guide are already my sidebooks.
we have about 800 VM's , we Have a DRP site working with SRM 5.0
We have a IBM N6060 like production datastore.
A nexsan E60 like Backup repository for veeam backup solution .
we will monitoring remote ESX connected by wan site too .

I need to estimate the required bandwith usage ,and determine the traffic schema .
I estimate the traffic to be essentialy concentrated between the virtual center and the veeam servers .
and I don't think there will be additional traffics.
I really want a good estimation size for the DB ,
initially with the V5, I budgeted a 100 GB sata based.

Also , I will need a additional server i think.
Initally for the V5 version my project included :one veeam monitor and one veeam reporter server (bussines included) .
on the V6 and 200 vm more , I think i will need on dedicated SQL server more
is it making sense ?

thanks in advances
Jean-pol
Vitaly.Mzokov
Expert
Liked: 25 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Mzokov

Post by Vitaly.Mzokov »

Hi Jean-Pol,

You're right - a lot of data flows from vCenter server to Veeam ONE Server, as our product monitors virtual environment in real-time. Thus, high traffic utilization might be expected in your case.
Do not forget about sufficient amount of RAM to be provided to Veeam ONE Server, as it holds all the real-time data in cache. Thus, the more RAM Veeam ONE Server service has, the less delays you will see on real-time performance graphs in Veeam ONE Monitor client. :)

According to the size of your environment, I would say that your idea about separate SQL Server for Veeam ONE is a good one, as this will give more benefits for Veeam ONE data aggregation processes.
Of course, you should use either Standard or Enterprise edition of SQL Server to eliminate possible issues with maximum CPU and Memory available for SQL Server instance. I am sure that you already know that Express edition is limited to use only 1 CPU and 1Gb of memory. In addition to that, I would also recommend you using high-speed disk for SQL Server to get faster data processing.

Hope my recommendations help.

- VM.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

The database size will not be less than the sum of Veeam Monitor, Reporter and Business View databases taken altogether, so to get a ballpark number of Veeam ONE database size, you can simply use the same size you've estimated previously.

On top of that, the significant growth might be only expected during the first week of usage, as Veeam ONE will be saving 5 minutes data stamps for each object counter, after one week 2 hours data stamps will be used to aggregate incoming performance data.
mteamjpy
Enthusiast

Post by mteamjpy »

Hi vitaliy ,
thanks that help me a lot ,

is it possible to get one estimation of that traffic on a working environement ?
Like this i can discuss with network, how to limit the influence o f such high bandwith usage ( vlan pvlan additional network card ....)

thanks

Jean-pol
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Yes, it is possible. You would suggest to use any free network traffic monitoring tool to estimate the network bandwidth requirements.
mteamjpy
Enthusiast

Post by mteamjpy »

ok we will do it, will maybe interesting to post it somewhere to get some analyse over it ?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

If you have enough time to get back to these forums and post your results, it will be much appreciated.