Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
cmdrriker
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Will Smith

esx host with nfs mounts as metadata respository - possible?

Post by cmdrriker »

All of our esx hosts use nfs storage. I'm replicating virtual machines to two dedicated esx replica hosts. This works fine, but the metadata from the replica jobs is being stored on the local Veeam server. I want to change this so that the metadata remains available in the event the veeam server should fail. I would like the metatdata files to be stored alongside the replica files and restore point files, but I don't see a way to configure Veeam to do this. The only new backup repository options I see are windows local, linux with nfs mounts, or cifs shares. How do I configure Veeam to store the metadata files on the same esx host's nfs mounts that the virtual machines are being replicated to?
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: esx host with nfs mounts as metadata respository - possi

Post by dellock6 »

Why don't you simply create another vmdk, connect to the Veeam VM, format in NTFS, and mount it as a new Veeam repository?
Also, metadata are used for the incremental replica jobs, if it fails, the first run after it would be simply slower; I'm not getting the reason for all this fear about the replica metadata...
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

cmdrriker wrote:I would like the metatdata files to be stored alongside the replica files and restore point files
Now that would be a really bad design. Remember that replica metadata files must be stored in the source site for best performance. Read carefully what the corresponding step of the replication job wizard says :wink:
cmdrriker
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Will Smith

Post by cmdrriker »

dellock 6 - re: "I'm not getting the reason for all this fear about the replica metadata.." because the userguide seems to imply that in the absence of the metadata files a backup or replica restore cannot be done. I'm trying to insure all files necessary to do a failover or restore are intact in the event of a veeam server failure. If having the metadata files are not critical to doing a restore/failback, then I will stop worrying about it. ------ Gostov - both the wizard and the userguide leave much to be desired as far as detail and clarity. That's why I have questions.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Metadata files are not actually required to perform restore and VM failover operations. See these topics for more info: Replication Meta Data and Repository for Replica metadata. Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

cmdrriker wrote:Gostov - both the wizard and the userguide leave much to be desired as far as detail and clarity. That's why I have questions.
That's why we have this forum ;)