Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V in a single System Center Operations Manager Console
smithjamesp55
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: James Smith

nWorks on Equallogic with MEM installed

Post by smithjamesp55 »

Hello all -

We recently installed nWorks into SCOM2012 and I'm noticing a number of errors being generated on my ESX1 4.1 hosts. The error is:
Alert Monitor: nworks vCenter: Host cannot connect to storage Alarm
Created: 5/21/2012 10:48:09 AM
This appears to be occurring on all of my hosts EXCEPT ONE...the one that I DON'T have the Equallogic MEM (Multipathing Extension Module) installed on. When I dig in and look at the paths, they all look correct with the green diamond and "active" next to it. There doesn't appear to be any actual disconnections and there's no degradation of connectivity.
In Manage Paths in vsphere client, it shows the path policy as "DELL_PSP_EQL_ROUTED". In PowerCLI, the path policy shows as "fixed".

So, I'm wondering if its possible that the MEM is making the pathing determinations without vcenter recognizing them as such and only noticing that a path has ceased to exist momentarily and generating the alert (then, since this is a "stateless" alert, it never changes back...), thus triggering the warnings in SCOM??

Thanks for any insight you may have,

James
vBPav
Expert
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Brian Pavnick

Re: nWorks on Equallogic with MEM installed

Post by vBPav »

James,

I'm thinking support is going to need to look into the logs a bit more on this. Would you mind opening up a case through our Customer Support Portal?

A couple suggestions:

1.) I found THIS article on VMware's KB. Could it be that the ESX Host thinks there should be more paths to the storage than there actually are?
2.) Do you happen to notice a patern when these alerts are generated? Perhaps specific times in the day? Around backups, snapshots, or any other IO intensive operation?

Thanks!
Brian Pavnick | Cireson| Solutions Architect

- Follow me on Twitter @ vbpav
- Reach me on e-mail @ brian.pavnick@cireson.com
smithjamesp55
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: James Smith

Post by smithjamesp55 »

Thanks for the link. I used the MEM command setup.pl -listpararm to list the parameters that the MEM is configured with:

Not sure how to upload/paste a screenshot of the results here, but the bottom line is that it does show that I have 2 sessions (which is the default configuration), even though I have 4 iSCSI VMKernels.
I have not been able to discern a pattern when the alerts are generated around time of day or host....

I might head over to the Equallogic board and see if they know anything also....
vBPav
Expert
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Brian Pavnick

Post by vBPav »

Interesting, let us know what you come up with. If you would like to pursue the Veeam Support route, feek free to log a case.

Thanks!
Brian Pavnick | Cireson| Solutions Architect

- Follow me on Twitter @ vbpav
- Reach me on e-mail @ brian.pavnick@cireson.com