Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Hasslehogg
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Michael Hogg

Enterprise Manager + VBR Manager on same host question

Post by Hasslehogg »

Hi

I have a VMware VM with 4vCPU's and 4GB RAM, with B&R V6 & Enterprise Manager installed, the SQL database is on a separate SQL2K5 server. (2 proxies setup on separate VM's and 1 RDM attached to the B&R VM as a repository)

I am using the default built in search option, i am not using a dedicated search server

Now, we need to keep backups (on tape) for 7 years, so i need to keep 84 months of Guest file system catalog in Enterprise Manager so i can search backups up to 7 years. I have the following questions please if anyone can i help i would appreciate it

With running Enterprise Manager & B&R Manager on the same VM, will it keep 2 copies of the same index files?
If so what do i need to do so it only keeps 1 copy?
I have approx 100 VM's to backup, is using the default search options ok, or do you recommend setting up a standalone search server on another VM?
I expect the VBRCatalog folder to be very large with this number of months retention, is there anyway to reduce the size other than select which VM's really need indexing?

Any other advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance for the help

Michael
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Enterprise Manager + VBR Manager on same host question

Post by foggy »

Hasslehogg wrote:With running Enterprise Manager & B&R Manager on the same VM, will it keep 2 copies of the same index files?
As they both store indexes in the same folder by default (C:\VBRCatalog), I assume there will be only one copy.
Hasslehogg wrote:I have approx 100 VM's to backup, is using the default search options ok, or do you recommend setting up a standalone search server on another VM?
In your case default search option should be ok. Microsoft Search Server is recommended for environments with more than a few hundred VMs.
Hasslehogg wrote:I expect the VBRCatalog folder to be very large with this number of months retention, is there anyway to reduce the size other than select which VM's really need indexing?
You can enable NTFS compression on that folder.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

Worst case you can always split the "archives" off to their own server that's used only when looking for older backups.
Hasslehogg
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Michael Hogg

Post by Hasslehogg »

guys

thank you both for your replies and advice, appreciated.