Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
stevenrodenburg1
Expert
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Steven Rodenburg

v6 - Cannot install proxies

Post by stevenrodenburg1 »

Hello all,

I have an environment where i need to deploy 1 Backup server and 3 proxies. None of these servers are meant to be AD Domain members (all are completely standalone).
The backup-server itself installed fine, running under a local, dedicated admin-account.
When i try to add a server meant als proxy, in the "New Windows Server" Wizard -> Credentials screen -> click "Next". Then, the popup saying "detecting previously installed components" always bombs out with the following error-message:

"<name of the proxy-host> Failed to install deployment service. Access is denied. --tr:Failed to create persistent connection to ADMIN$ shared folder on host <ip-address of that proxy-host>. --tr:Failed to install service [VeeamDeploymentService] was not installed on the host [<ip-address of that proxy-host>]."

On the backup-server and the three proxy-hosts (Win2008R2) the firewall is disabled and the ADMIN$ is present (verified with "net use"). I have not installed any roles or features outside .NET Framework 3.5x).

Do all four hosts (backup-server + 3 proxies) need to be in the same AD domain to enable the installation of components or am i overlooking something?
I have not read such a requirement in the docs or FAQ.
DNS is correct (forward & reverse).
The credentials i enter are correct (a local user on each proxy-host, dedicated for Veeam and who is a member of the local administrators group).

Kind regards,
Steven Rodenburg
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: v6 - Cannot install proxies

Post by foggy »

Steven, proxy server does not need to be a domain member, you can use a standalone hosts for this purpose as well. Please try to open the ADMIN$ share using the local account you specify in the wizard (\\X.X.X.X\admin$) - is it accessible?
stevenrodenburg1
Expert

Post by stevenrodenburg1 » 1 person likes this post

It was not but after this fix (which can be applied without rebooting), it is now.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
"LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy"=dword:00000001

Source: support.microsoft.com/kb/947232/en-us

After this fix, the proxies installed fine.
martins
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Martin Skerritt

Replication over the Internet

Post by martins »

[merged]

Hi all,
I've been doing plenty of reading & scouring the forums, but can't find anything specific about configuration of two proxies over the Internet. I want to setup replication between two sites via the Internet. Each site has a firewall connected to the Internet, which I have configure port forwarding. Each site has separate VMware infratructures to store the proxy VEEAM servers & the replica's.

The source infrastructure cannot see the destination infrastructure. Only communication allowed is firewall rules to allow port 9392, 9393, 9394 & 2500 - 2550 between the two VEEAM Proxy servers. However each proxy server can see it's local Infrastructure, datastores etc.

I've configured port forward rules on the firewall, but cannot get the source proxy to see the destination proxy. I follow throguh the new Proxy wizard on the source, and it fails on [destination ip address here] Failed to install deployment service. The network path was not found. --tr:Failed to create persistent connection to ADMIN$ shared folder on Host [destination ip address here]

I want to avoid using site to site VPN tunnel as there is a lot of network bandwidth overhead lot with a VPN. Would be better if I connect direct & encrypt traffic between Proxies.
Anybody know what ports I need between proxies, or anything else I need to do.
Many thanks,
martins
hispan1c
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Carlos

Post by hispan1c »

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem as Martins. I've done quite some research on the net but couldn't find any specific information on connecting 2 proxies over a WAN.

When i try to add the DR backup proxy i receive the following error :

[IP] Failed to install deployment service. The network path was not found
-tr:Failed to create persistent connection to ADMIN$ shared folder on host [IP]
-tr:Failed to install service [VeeamDeploymentService] was not installed on the host [IP]

I want to avoid a VPN for the same reasons as Martins. I also tried the .reg file mentioned earlier with no luck.
stevenrodenburg1
Expert

Re: Replication over the Internet

Post by stevenrodenburg1 »

martins wrote:I want to avoid using site to site VPN tunnel as there is a lot of network bandwidth overhead lot with a VPN.
If you modify the MTU to a value low enough so that the Veeam data is not fragmented (and re-assembled on the other side), the traffic flows very nicely and without hickups. We run such a construct over a 5 Mbit pipe with a steady throughput of 526 KB/s. MTU is set at 1400 to avoid fragmenting (you cannot fit a 1500 byte packet in another (VPN) 1500 byte packet without splitting up the first one).
martins wrote:Would be better if I connect direct & encrypt traffic between Proxies.
Cannot agree here. Better have a dedicated VPN concentrator do the encryption instead of burdoning a Veeam server with that task.
My advice: Let components do what do they do best. Veeam does Dedup and compression to decrease the traffic that needs to be sent. The VPN solution can do the number-crunching.
I would not have a Veeam appliance, having it's four CPU's maxed out already because of Dedup and compression, stressed even more with encrypting/decrypting.

Just my 2 cents.
bhwong
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Boon Hong Wong

Remote Replication issues

Post by bhwong »

[merged]

I'm testing on Veeam before deciding to purchase it. But I found some difficulties to get it to works.

If I was to try out replication to remote site, I must have a server at remote site right?

I'm using a Windows XP VM at remote site for this purpose over an VPN connection. However, when I add it's IP address into Veeam Backup Repositories, Veeam prompted this error:

[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] Failed to install deployment service.
The network name cannot be found
--tr:Failed to create persistent connection to ADMIN$ shared folder on host [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]
--tr:Failed to install service [VeeamDeploymentService] was not installed on the host [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]

Also, how best to add a SAN storage into this server to store the replicated VM? If I use Microsoft iSCSI initiator to map the SAN volume directly inside, what file format should I format it into? Or will Veeam handle it automatically?

From my SAN storage, should I enabled simulaneous connection? VMFS support this but not NTFS, which will corrupt the volume if simulaneous connection is allowed.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

Please review this topic for first troubleshooting steps you should take to resolve this issue. If nothing helps, please contact our support team directly as it explained by our forum rules when you click New Topic.

Also you do not need to add SAN storage to the repository server if you want to replicate VMs, this storage should be connected to your target ESX(i) host.

Btw, we've got a pretty informative sticky F.A.Q. that should answers all these questions, please look it through:
>>> READ FIRST : [FAQ] FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS <<<

Thanks!
bhwong
Enthusiast

Post by bhwong »

Hi Vitality S.

1. Does non-customer using your trial version allow to contact your support team directly?

2. The FAQ doesn't address my issue. Also, I'm using Windows XP, thus, the fix (support.microsoft.com/kb/947232/en-us) mentioned above for Vista does not apply .

3. Thanks for clarifying that replication is deposit directly into ESXi storage. In this case, how best to add SAN storage into the server to store backup VM?

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

bhwong wrote:1. Does non-customer using your trial version allow to contact your support team directly?
Yes, any customer who is on the official trial license period is eligible for support.
bhwong wrote:2. The FAQ doesn't address my issue. Also, I'm using Windows XP, thus, the fix (support.microsoft.com/kb/947232/en-us) mentioned above for Vista does not apply .
The reason of this error is unavailability of the ADMIN$ share. Make sure it is accessible using the local account you specify in the wizard and most likely the error will go away.
bhwong wrote:3. Thanks for clarifying that replication is deposit directly into ESXi storage. In this case, how best to add SAN storage into the server to store backup VM?
This is actually covered in the FAQ topic.
bhwong
Enthusiast

Post by bhwong »

May I know what are the ports required for accessing the ADMIN$ share?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

The ADMIN$ share (as any other share) is a part of File and Printer Sharing that requires ports TCP 139 and 445 and UDP 137 and 138 to be opened. Also, make sure that File and Printer Sharing is enabled on that host.
bhwong
Enthusiast

Post by bhwong »

File and Printer Sharing is enabled on that host and a remote server can access ADMIN$ share of this remote Proxy Server.
However, my local server cannot access ADMIN$ share of this remote Proxy Server, unless firewall is disabled on this remote Proxy Server.
Does XP firewall block File and Printer Sharing from other subnet network???
bhwong
Enthusiast

Post by bhwong »

Problem solved.

Solution 1: Amend default XP firewall scope to allow connection from other subnet: http://kb.iu.edu/data/auou.html

Solution 2: Amend XP network from workgroup to domain
bhwong
Enthusiast

Post by bhwong »

This question is not answered yet as I can't find the answer in the FAQ

How best to add a SAN storage into this server to store the backed up VM? If I use Microsoft iSCSI initiator to map the SAN volume directly inside, what file format should I format it into? Or will Veeam handle it automatically?

From my SAN storage, should I enabled simulaneous connection? VMFS support this but not NTFS, which will corrupt

Is it safe to map a SAN volume that has been formatted as VMFS and contain other VMs that is accessed by ESXi?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

bhwong wrote:Is it safe to map a SAN volume that has been formatted as VMFS and contain other VMs that is accessed by ESXi?
Since Windows is not aware about VMFS, you will not be able to do that for storing Veeam backup files. If you're referring to using direct SAN mode to retrieve VM data, then you need to mount your SAN LUNs in read-only mode.

Please search the forums for existing topics discussing your other questions. Btw, here is one of them: Help with local storage for backup repository