Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
tom11011
Expert
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Tom

backups retention issue

Post by tom11011 »

I'm running veeam 6.0.0.181 64bit.

Last month, I increased my retentions to from 20 to 60. My plan is to continue to ratchet up my retention to maximize the usage of my backup server.

However, I checked in on the disk space for the first time since making the change, but veeam is still only retaining the 20 backups.

How to correct this? Something in the database to manually over ride?

Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: backups retention issue

Post by foggy »

Tom, which setting have you modified exactly? "Restore points to keep on disk"? Have you performed any other modifications to job settings?
rbrambley
Veeam Software
Liked: 57 times
Full Name: Rich Brambley

Post by rbrambley »

Tom,

Did you change the default backup mode from Incremental to Reversed Incremental? Incremental out of the box will run a full every Saturday and that is probably keeping you at 20 restore points.

If you change the job to Reversed Incremental (Advanced button on the Storage page of the job properties) then the restore points will reach 60.

It's a bit confusing I know, but restore points on disk are not the governing setting when using our default Incremental mode.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

rbrambley wrote:Did you change the default backup mode from Incremental to Reversed Incremental? Incremental out of the box will run a full every Saturday and that is probably keeping you at 20 restore points.

If you change the job to Reversed Incremental (Advanced button on the Storage page of the job properties) then the restore points will reach 60.
Not sure what do you mean here, Rich.

After increasing the restore points to keep setting, the number of restore points on disk should eventually be brought into correspondence with it regardless of the backup mode used (and could be even larger for forward incrementals). If it does not happen, then something is going wrong.
rbrambley
Veeam Software
Liked: 57 times
Full Name: Rich Brambley

Post by rbrambley »

Foggy,

Good point. He should have at least 60 restore points regardless of the mode.

Switching to Reversed Incremental is probably best so he ONLY has 60 restore points, however. Maybe the switch will reset the job and fix things.
tom11011
Expert

Post by tom11011 »

Strange, I thought I replied to my post here but now I don't see it. To answer the questions.

I've always used reverse incremental, didn't just switch to it.

Yes, the setting "restore points to keep on disk".

Sounds like the solution is probably to edit the database, I'm going to have a look and see if I can find it.
tom11011
Expert

Post by tom11011 »

ok, I think I may have been in error here.

A look through the backup directory in windows shows 17 vrb files, each with the same data and time stamp. But as I look closer, when attempting to do a mock restore, there are more than 20 restore points to choose from. I'm not sure what if anything the 17 vrb files being the same date and time stamp mean. The file sizes are all different though.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Tom, if you have a different list of available restore points in windows directory and Veeam backup console, then I suggest opening a support case and let our tech guys take a look at this issue live.