Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
lawti01
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Tim Lawrence

Veeam Enterprise Server

Post by lawti01 »

I have just bought this product and will be using vm's for backup servers/proxies/etc... The one missing component that would make this a "TRUE" enterprise solution is to allow the backup policies/replication/configuration of all down-line components (backup servers/proxies/etc) to be configured from the Enterprise Server and that way depending on availability/load/repository access could be administered from a single point-of-presence instead of redundant work on an individual basis for an implementation... It could be way 8) ...
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Veeam Enterprise Server

Post by Gostev »

Hi Tim, what is your reason for having multiple backup servers if at the same time you want to manage all tasks for them centrally?
lawti01
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Tim Lawrence

Post by lawti01 »

Whenever I have worked with a application that uses an Enterprise component the management of the implementation is performed from a single point... Let's take VMware as a example... I have 32 hosts, each of which could be configured on a individual basis but instead I use vCenter to perform overall control centrally... Another example is Microsoft Active Directory, once again we have some 40 AD controllers and could be managed individally but instead you configure policy once and distribute as required...
Regarding Veeam, lets say a client is using physical servers with the Backup component installed backing up any number of vm's... They are connected to their respective Proxy with local storage housing backup data and the one of the Backup Servers goes down... How much time would it take to get new hardware, renistall all necessary apps, restore the DB, or reconfigure the policy on a differnt server vs taking the policy configured at the Enterprise level and simply push it to a different Backup Server with instant results... Seconds vs what?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev »

If we really are talking about "TRUE" enterprise, then also seconds - you simply attach the new backup server to the existing Veeam database. Obviously, no enterprise customer will use local SQL Express for Veeam, and instead they will put Veeam DB on the existing, managed SQL.

Now, while I do get the need for having 40 DC and managing their [same] configuration centrally, I do not see the need for 10 backup servers managing the same backup infrastructure (proxies/repositories). Besides, this is not supported today anyway.
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

IMHO it's more a design choice than a lack of feature: the best approach for designing Veeam infrastructure with some degree of resiliency is always to have the Veeam server on a VM and not on physical, and save it with Veeam itself and even replicating it. Proxies can be physical if I have to access FC or iscsi storage with high I/O, but they can be replaced in minutes since there is no "logic" on board and they are controlled buy the central Veeam Server.
My 2 cents.
Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1